C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A/c Vent Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 03:43 PM
MAPLT4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/c Vent Question

I have a '96 LT4 and I have a weird question that I hope someone can help me with. When I turn on a/c or heat, the air blows from the defrost and down below no matter what button is pressed. After driving consistently for about 15-30 minutes the air gradually moves to the center vents. If I press a button at that point it goes right back. I was told that if the green light above the vent buttons was flashing there is an error code similar to the ecu. The light is not flashing. I also heard that the vent system is electronically controlled with vacuum.

If nothing else, it would be better if I could make the air blow through the center vents for the summer, a/c works great. How do I fix this?

Please help!

Marco.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Louis Bartay
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAPLT4
I have a '96 LT4 and I have a weird question that I hope someone can help me with. When I turn on a/c or heat, the air blows from the defrost and down below no matter what button is pressed. After driving consistently for about 15-30 minutes the air gradually moves to the center vents. If I press a button at that point it goes right back. I was told that if the green light above the vent buttons was flashing there is an error code similar to the ecu. The light is not flashing. I also heard that the vent system is electronically controlled with vacuum.

If nothing else, it would be better if I could make the air blow through the center vents for the summer, a/c works great. How do I fix this?

Please help!

Marco.
My 96 LT4 does the same thing as does a Lot of 96 C4. The vacuum controler that is under the dash by the clutch pedal is losing vacuum. A lot of the time the vacuum line feeding the controler is pinching the now soft rubber male nipple on the controler. You can buy smaller hard vacuum lines that will fit inside the vacuum line so it will not pinch shut.

If you are lucky it is the plastic check valve that is under the fuel rail cover on the passenger side of the engine. Does your cruise control work? If not replace that black plastic check valve and look at the vacuum lines that plug into the intake.

I have not pulled my controler out yet as it is a pain to get to. Usually it is best to remove the drivers seat(if you are a big or tall person) so you can lay on your back to get to the controler.
Good Luck Hope this helps.
Louis
Old 06-21-2007, 11:46 PM
franks96ce
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i just finished mine today same problem, i replaced the piece located under the fuel rail cover, and cut the rubber part of the nipples 1/2 way off until it was hard plastic with a razor connected it back and all works well, easy job just time consuming make sure you take off the driver seat.hvac box is black with a blue connection on top and is about 4'' by 4'' against the firewall.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Yeah this is a common problem on alot of GM cars...99% of the time,its the plastic check valve on the vacuum line on the engine somewhere.
Even the L98s havt this problem and the check valve is on back of the engine hooked up to the plastic vacuum tubes.

Other engines,theyre under the cover or on top of the engine somewhere.

THat and the other fixes for the Later C4 cars,such as the LT1 or Lt4,cant go wrong with following that info.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:08 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

on the 96, you need to replace the nipples on the box (above the gas pedal). The proper nipples are hard plastic, not soft rubber found in the 96.

I have the correct parts.
pm me if needed.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Louis Bartay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by franks96ce
i just finished mine today same problem, i replaced the piece located under the fuel rail cover, and cut the rubber part of the nipples 1/2 way off until it was hard plastic with a razor connected it back and all works well, easy job just time consuming make sure you take off the driver seat.hvac box is black with a blue connection on top and is about 4'' by 4'' against the firewall.
Were you able to make the repair with out removing the box from the fire wall? I read it was a hassle to reconnect the box back on the fire wall. Any other advise would be a great help.
Thanks
Louis
Old 06-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Louis Bartay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by larryfs
on the 96, you need to replace the nipples on the box (above the gas pedal). The proper nipples are hard plastic, not soft rubber found in the 96.

pm me if needed.

Thanks, PM sent with my email address. And any other advise would be a help. I replaced the plastic valve and the vacuum lines under the fuel rail but my AC still blows out the heater ducts.
Louis
Old 07-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Louis Bartay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by larryfs

pm me if needed.
Larry
Do you still have the parts with hard rubber nipples? I sent you a PM too.
Thanks
Louis

Last edited by Louis Bartay; 07-24-2007 at 07:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A/c Vent Question

Quick Reply: A/c Vent Question