C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:39 PM
mikesvette1991
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak

Hi all,
I'm new to Vette ownership (just got mine in April) and I love it.
C4 ownership is a privilege and a responsibility - I'm learning!

Some background to my car/question. I have a 91 (not a ZR1) with 76,000 miles on it. I've noticed a little coolant hitting the garage floor from time to time. Here's the latest from the garage:

-They have done pressure tests and looked at it over a two day period but can't find the leak.
- It's not leaking consistently, it's not getting hotter than normal, it still runs great, and the leak is so small that the reservoir has plenty of coolant in it.

Mechanic suggested I keep an eye on it and when it starts leaking more consistently they would find it. He thinks it might be the water pump. I trust this guy (he came on a recommendation and hasn't charged me a dime). Still, I worry that if I wait, it'll be something very serious.

So, I'm looking for advice on Vetter forums... is it something I can keep an eye on and take back in when it leaks more than once every 10 days~2 weeks, or should I take it somewhere else and let them take everything apart to find the leak now? Any thoughts?
Thanks much in advance for any advice/comments
Mike
Old 06-28-2007, 01:53 PM
kehler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably getting some leakge out of the "weep" hole on the water pump. This typically indicates the pump is on the way out. Usually only leaks after you stop. Next time you take it out as soon as you finsh driving pop the hood and check the underside of the pump.

Quick Reply: coolant leak