C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Whats required to go Carbed on a 96?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:51 AM
rap87
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RainDelay
In all honesty the answer has been made very clear...economics. He does not have a "such a good fuel injected engine" he has a long block with serious issues and for someone that does not understand the integrated systems, a running crate motor for $1500 is hard to beat.

It's not like he's arguing against the technology of fuel injection.

It's also pretty clear that he now understands and is moving in the right direction.

I'm not sure how missed all that...you should at least read the thread before jumping down someone's throat with explitives.
In all honesty I appreciate that comment. I really don't know why some people have responded as negatively as they have. And as far as Cases accusation that I haven't listened to advice thats pretty much bs. I took my heads to a head shop, I had them checked, I made sure I did it right list goes on. The last advice I was left with was to pull the motor out and get the block checked out. From getting quotes around here thats going to be bout $2500 worst case. I may try to get more quotes or pull this block and see how much it is to have someone check it out, maybe all I need is that bare block in this thread and I just switch over the parts. I really don't know, I'm not a mechanic, I'm going to school to be a policeman, not an automotive mechanic, so many of you defiantly have the edge on this type of knowledge. My only concern was if it could be done having a brand new carbed motor seemed to be, from a laymans point of view, better than a rebuilt motor that had given me problems before. **** this motor was only given me, and I'm not ****ting you 10mpg, and I didn't have EPA **** in the car, therefore it wasn't going to pass a smog test if we had one in VA. Apparently though if I need a new trans to make this work it becomes much less cost effective and the idea goes out the window, I don't think the other comments questioning my sanity were needed though. ****, I would have been just as happy with a c3 if it hauled ***, I could care less what moves it, as long as it sounds good and hauls ***. But again, its not cost effective, going to have to find something else. Just on my budget the more expensive it becomes the more time I have to wait to see the end of the tunnel. I think my plan is to get this one checked out if its cheap enough to see what they say about the block, if the block is hosed, I'll get the one in the thread and either have them switch it our, or drive up to jims and see what we can do.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:57 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, at least you've chosen the right profession to pursue.

I retired from the Chicago Police Department as a Lieutenant in 1995 after giving them the best 28 years of my life. LOL

Seems you're zeroing in on one of the blocks recently offered which is fine with me. Whatever works best for you is what you should do.

I'm going to load my stock LT1 in the bed of my nephew's Silverado and take it down to Texas and roll it into my storage locator there.

I can always hang on to it to put in my son's 96 LT1 Vette once he blows his engine with the lead foot that he has.

Good luck in solving your engine problem. Be sure to keep us posted.

Jake
Old 07-12-2007, 01:31 PM
dogbon
Advanced

I went carb on my '86 and I am very happy with it.
My mileage went to hell and I lost the fuel retated goodies on the display, but the horsepower gain more than made up for it.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:47 PM
rap87
Racer

Originally Posted by dogbon
I went carb on my '86 and I am very happy with it.
My mileage went to hell and I lost the fuel retated goodies on the display, but the horsepower gain more than made up for it.
Did you have the trans problems associated with that change?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:02 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's how mine looks after 96,000 miles.

Jake
Old 07-12-2007, 04:50 PM
dogbon
Advanced

Originally Posted by rap87
Did you have the trans problems associated with that change?
Nope, I went with a T-56 6 speed
Old 07-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Casethecorvetteman
The reason he doesnt have a good running engine is cause of previous mistakes from what ive read. He had a chance to do it right first go, but it certainly seems as though he failed to take any advice offered to him, which has led to the current situation.

Putting in a crate engine for $1,500 is not the be all and end all of this saga. It sure as hell wont be the fix.

The PCM requires input from the engine sensors in order to be happy. Without that input, many things wont work, including the auto transmission, which requires the PCM to be happy in order to function. So a $1,500 crate engine just got a whole lot more expensive and far more complicated (there goes your economics). Almost everything in the whole car works in and around the CCM and PCM. Without them, might as well gut the car and drive an empty shell, cause almost nothing is going to function properly.

I did read the thread, and a few of the previous threads before i made these comments. If he hadve followed previously given advice, id say he would have an engine that would run fine. And i still want to know why on earth anyone would consider a carby engine simply cause they had water in the oil (which has nothing what so ever to do with the intake or any of the fuel injection system, or engine managment systems).
Because they don't know as much as you. So, the smaller numbers after the currency sign mean less money, cheaper, more economic. Forget what you know,about motors, just look at the numbers..less is less. (I wish I could stop here) So, thinking you can just slap a motor already in built by a pro with no worry about damage to internals and avoid any more self inflicted wounds and move on and get the car running, the lower number, the less work, less chances for mistakes makes sense.AND AGAIN, only knowing ahead of time the difficulties in getting everything to work does it NOT make sense.
All engines come back to air/fuel/compression/spark, no matter how the air and fuel gets in there.
Oh well, I just do not know how to make it any more clear that he did not know about the integrated systems and their complexity with trying to run a carb PRIOR to his original post and, he had already moved on to looking for an LT1 prior to your post. You even quoted him asking for clarification on model compatability. It should have been clear that he was no longer considering it an option.

rap87, if you start a "I'm going carb" thread, I will fly Case in from down under, hand him a gun and point him in your direction
Old 07-12-2007, 06:42 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can make this sound simple .When you hook up your trans linkage to a carb engine you will need the linkage set up from holley ,jegs sells it .you will also need a switch to hook to the trans to unlock the converter.If you don't give the electric current to the trans for the converter to unlock it will stay locked up and you will not be able to idle the car and have the converter disengauge.
It will stall every time you come up to a stop light to keep it simple.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RainDelay
rap87, if you start a "I'm going carb" thread, I will fly Case in from down under, hand him a gun and point him in your direction
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:34 PM
rap87
Racer

Well, RaindDelay said exactly how my feelings and opinions were when I posted these questions and I am glad it came across correctly to someone. Look even, if I ask a stupid *** question, I may not know it cause I don't have the knowledge, but I do appreciate you guys telling me it is, just go soft on the shots to the kidneys hehehe.

Redc4corvette: So, there is a way to make it work, but I assume those items I would need, will end up costing more than fixing what I have now, and which would defeat the fix of saving money and cost me on gas etc.etc.etc. right? Only way I would consider carb is if its brand new and it can be done under 2 grand, otherwise even the worst case scenario with mine I can get it fixed....eventually....that is.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:04 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

this thread has gone to ****.

I am done.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Repzard
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAKE
Here's how mine looks after 96,000 miles.

Jake

Damn that LOOKS GOOD
Old 07-13-2007, 12:54 AM
martymcfly
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How about a new crate engine? I see that GM has a new 350 horse crate engine called ram jet 350. I saw it on gmperformanceparts.com. It has all of the fuel injection and sensors.. It says installer supplies 12 volt power and fuel and it is ready to go. I don't know anything about it except what it says on the web site, but I stumbled on it.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:06 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by martymcfly
How about a new crate engine? I see that GM has a new 350 horse crate engine called ram jet 350. I saw it on gmperformanceparts.com. It has all of the fuel injection and sensors.. It says installer supplies 12 volt power and fuel and it is ready to go. I don't know anything about it except what it says on the web site, but I stumbled on it.
ok. I am back. only because this engine won't work, either.

IT'S NOT AN LT1.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:29 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a chop shop in your area Tow it with a tow rope and leave the key's in it and collect the insurance.
Just a thought

Quick Reply: Whats required to go Carbed on a 96?