C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Interesting coolant temp

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:18 PM
opz28
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting coolant temp

This is my first Corvette, a 1991, but I have noticed that it runs pretty hot unless I'm moving pretty good down the road. After reading some posts, I've come to the conclusion that it's normal. I don't think it ever gets above 220 or so, but it's right towards the high end of the gauge. Thats also running around town and not on the highway, cools fine there.

Anyway, what I found is that when I turn my A/C on while driving around town the coolant temp goes down several degrees. Is this normal or am I just seeing things? I thought that running the A/C would make it run hotter not cooler. Is there something I don't know?

Mike
Old 07-11-2007, 08:22 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by opz28
Anyway, what I found is that when I turn my A/C on while driving around town the coolant temp goes down several degrees. Is this normal or am I just seeing things? I thought that running the A/C would make it run hotter not cooler. Is there something I don't know?
It cools down because your fan kicks in when you turn the AC on. Same thing when you move, as the radiator is getting incoming air from the front. Everything you have described is normal. If you don't like it that hot, they sell low temp fan switches that turn your fan earlier.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:41 PM
opz28
Intermediate

Cool, thanks for the input, I learned something today
Old 07-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Lichen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's normal until you reach the temperature where your fan would kick on automatically. Then (in theory), the AC would make it run hotter. You might consider installing a 180* t-stat and programming your fan to kick in at 195*. If not, you're still okay.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:19 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't need to do anything.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:34 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
You don't need to do anything.
except
Old 07-12-2007, 01:55 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Lichen
It's normal until you reach the temperature where your fan would kick on automatically. Then (in theory), the AC would make it run hotter. You might consider installing a 180* t-stat and programming your fan to kick in at 195*. If not, you're still okay.
Not necessary, your cars running at normal temps, nothing to worry about till you hit 240 deg plus...
Old 07-12-2007, 09:08 AM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

It sounds normal. However, if you want to do some preventative measures. Check the air intake area for debris. In addition, you can check between the radiator and a/c. After a while leaves, street garbage, etc. build up in that area. It is a fairly straightforward to do, you can do it yourself, and doesn't cost you any money. Check other posts, some guys have pictures of what they found. Very interesting to say the least.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:42 AM
opz28
Intermediate

Thanks for the help guys, everything seems to be normal I guess. The radiator looks clean, no debris, so I'm just going to drive it
Old 07-12-2007, 09:49 PM
woodi
3rd Gear

Default just curious

Originally Posted by Lichen
How do I reprogram my 92 lt1 so my fan kicks on at 200??

thanks
Old 07-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Lichen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by woodi
How do I reprogram my 92 lt1 so my fan kicks on at 200??

thanks
Unfortunatly, you can't. You can either have a new chip burned to turn them on earlier, or buy one of those manual fan switches.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:00 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by opz28
The radiator looks clean, no debris, so I'm just going to drive it
The radiator looks clean...Where? You can't tell if you have debris between the radiator and condenser with a casual glance. The first inspection should be done by pulling the radiator. If it hasn't been done before you WILL find debris. Maybe in your case it isn't a problem. Until you pull the radiator you will never really know what you are looking for. Then, you can determine if successful future inspections on your car will be possible without pulling the radiator. The trouble with looking and seeing no problem is, is there really nothing there, or can you just not see it. After you have pulled the radiator, you will know what you will be looking for, next time.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 07:24 PM
dan_pirkle
8th Gear

My 92 scared me first time in traffic but the LT1 was designed with the sole purpose of making you worry about over heating. Anyway I did a full flush on my radiator and got in there and really cleaned out the front debris and it runs about 10 below what it did before. What appeared to be a very well maintained car otherwise had been VERY neglected in the cooling department.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting coolant temp

Quick Reply: Interesting coolant temp