C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Coolant fill

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:03 AM
johnash
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Coolant fill

Hello all!

I just finished a big project on the engine of my 89 coupe. I removed the plenum, runners and valve covers and powdercoated them, and added roller tip rockers while I had things apart. (I値l post pics when I知 completely done.)

Anyway, this project involved taking off the coolant lines going to the throttle body. When I did this, I lost some coolant. I lost a little more after reassembling things, and forgetting to tighten down a clamp before I warmed the engine up.

So, what I知 wondering is if there is a way to refill the engine with coolant without running the engine. Can I just take off one of the TB lines and use a funnel to add water there? Or, is it safe to run the engine with low coolant and just wait for the thermostat to open? I realize that I値l probably have to burp the system either way.

So, what do you think?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:16 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be able to add coolant to the overflow tank. I would add 50% coolant and 50% distilled water. When you run your engine through a warm/cool cycle it will pull coolant into the system. When your tank dipstick measures to the full line cold, stop. You won't have to burp it.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:25 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by johnash
Or, is it safe to run the engine with low coolant and just wait for the thermostat to open? I realize that I値l probably have to burp the system either way.

So, what do you think?
YES! When you are ready to start the engine, first make sure the radiator is as full as possible. Then proceed as you suggested (quoted above). Waiting for the cooling system to refill itself through the recovery tank will take too long, if it ever refills fully.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:40 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
YES! When you are ready to start the engine, first make sure the radiator is as full as possible. Then proceed as you suggested (quoted above). Waiting for the cooling system to refill itself through the recovery tank will take too long, if it ever refills fully.

RACE ON!!!
On my 1989 it did and his will too. Mine pulled in EXACTLY the 3 quarts I let out and has been stable ever since.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:47 PM
johnash
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI

RACE ON!!!
Yep! I tried this, and it worked perfect. So far haven't even needed to burp the system.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant fill

Quick Reply: Coolant fill