C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My 85 Z-51 build

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:27 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default My 85 Z-51 build

Hello everyone, my first time posting but have been checking this forum out for along time to gleen info while I slowly have been putting together my 85. I dissassembled this car almost 10 years ago (motor,tranny) and have been putting it back together slowly as I have gathered parts. It's been a fun project, especially trying to remember how everything goes back together and what bolts go where, etc. I have moved twice in the process and everything was all jumbled together.heres the rundown....73 2 bolt block, TRW forged flattops, Summit flat tappet cam (g5000), stainless roller rockers, thinner than stock head gaskets from tpis, adjustable regulator, Ford Motorsport 19 lb injectors, March underdrive pulley, took the vanes out of the air pump, welded the EGR valve closed, welded the air holes on stock exhaust manifolds, ported plenum, removed MAF screens, KN filter. I have been mainly going for a mild build on a budget. I also purchased a 88 4+3 on ebay. question one....there is no tv cable on my new tranny...problem? q2....my cam, specs are very similiar to stock, where is the 30 hp summit claims? Anyone else have this cam?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I don't have the answers to your q's but as far as an 85 goes look for a set of heads, perhaps a used set from late 80's and watch for a set of headers to show up.

The exhaust and heads on an 85 suck and need to go.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:13 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

You will need to get an adjustable fuel pressure regualtor and up the PSI to your injectors. I know that Ford under rates their injectors, but the 85 was stock with 24 lb injectors. You will also have to have a custom chip burned for your motor since you changed the cam. I am not sure how close it is to stock, but the rule of thumb is you can change almost anything on the engine and stay with the stock chip...until you change out the cam.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:15 AM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Thanks....The heads are a done deal, I had the stock ones rebuilt, I felt that for the horsepower and rpm that I will be running that they would be adequate...I may upgrade to aftermarket heads in the future along with the intake...as for the exhaust, that is easily upgraded after I get everything else in order and probably will be the very next thing I do after its up and running good. I maybe have 2 days of putting stuff back together before I fire er up!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:29 AM
Happydad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Believe a stick shift does'nt have a TV cable......
Old 07-13-2007, 04:31 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

alrighty....found my cam card...this is a summit tpi cam, 420 lift intake exhaust lift 442 duration..... 262 intake 272 exhaust it is currently in the catalog as sum-g5000....the claim back in the day was 30 ponies in a 305 tune port power range 1500-4000...i do have a adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and my injectors are good for over 300 hp with the right pressure I believe. I also thought that MAF cars were less sensitive to cam changes than a speed density system. Of course, a new chip burned to the right specs is within my budget. I loved the driveability of my stock vette and the "thrust" that the low end torque provided. I guess this was one of the goals of my build, since it will mainly be a road car and transportation for me when complete.

Get notified of new replies

To My 85 Z-51 build

Quick Reply: My 85 Z-51 build