C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What is the ultimate tpi cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:04 PM
black85
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Default What is the ultimate tpi cam?

I have a healthy tpi setup that is fairly stock. It will probably run a 13.1 on a good pass, but so far only 13.3 due to my errors. I am going to build a nice motor eventually (hopefully using a 400 block), but want to max out what I have for now.

So........what is the most extreme cam I can run right now to optimize my setup? I have a 2:73 rear gear, which works pretty well w/ the tpi torque. I have pulled a few 1.8x 60' times. I don't want to change the rear gear yet b/c I don't even know what rear I will eventually need.

For now, I plan the Crane 1.6 aluminum roller rockers, lt-4 valve springs, and this mystery cam. Maybe the zz-9? I don't even know what type of cam this '85 has. Flat-tappet? Any help would really be appreciated. Oh, and I don't mind having chips burnt.

Thank you!

Dave Seel

current set up:

tpis headers
Borla Catback
underdrive pulleys
Air pump delete
kitty delete
ported plenum
esc update
autotragic (fresh 700r4)
other odds and ends that probably don't matter anyway
Old 07-23-2007, 09:24 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You have a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft, 202/206 @050"

ZZ9 is a roller, so it wont work unless you convert, but there are plenty similar cams to run with TPI. You could have one made to similar specs, or run something like an Accel 212 or 216.

But TPI will choke the hell out of a 400ci engine, even if you destroke it.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:32 PM
black85
Pro

Today 08:24 PM
vader86 You have a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft, 202/206 @050"

ZZ9 is a roller, so it wont work unless you convert, but there are plenty similar cams to run with TPI. You could have one made to similar specs, or run something like an Accel 212 or 216.

But TPI will choke the hell out of a 400ci engine, even if you destroke it.
Ok thank you! I just threw out the zz9 thing b/c it seems so popular around here. Would the Accel cams you are talking about really wake up the car? Would the idle sound great? Would I need chips? Sorry for so many questions. I just want to order this stuff right away so I can surprise my buddy at the drag strip (hopefully Friday). LT-4 springs do work on this car right?

I understand that the TPI is no good for the 400ci. It won't have this intake then unless I spend all my money on a turbo system. Even then, tpi would be temporary. Another reason I don't want to change the rear gear yet. Everything will be planned to work together (hopefully).

Dave

Last edited by black85; 07-23-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:52 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Originally Posted by black85
Would the Accel cams you are talking about really wake up the car? Would the idle sound great? Would I need chips? LT-4 springs do work on this car right?
They are made for TPI setups, and should idle fine. They wont have much lope at all. Actually I'm sorry but the 216 is a roller, my mistake.

Still, you could have something made to similar specs to that in a flat tappet.

Yes a chip is needed.

Order the correct springs for the lift you calculate with your rockers when you buy the cam.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:32 PM
emo-vet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

r.e a tpi intake will choke a 400 c.i motor,

well a first injection tpi intake wont choke it though!
www.firstinjection.com
base can be ported out to a 1207, runner size of the shelf is 1.75" inner diameter,base to runners is 1.85" inner diameter of the shelf.
the runners have enough material to port also out to 1.9" inner
diameter and flows enough air to achieve 6,000 rpm with out a problem.
the inner radius length on the large runners is around the 6.75".
single mono blade 71 mm throttle body that comes with the intake flows enough air too 835 cfm.
this is a tpi on steroids.

take a look at it,it has alot of potential with out a doubt.
regards
shae
Old 07-23-2007, 11:15 PM
black85
Pro

What about something like this?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...&view=1&N=700+

Would it make a big performance difference? Sounds like a pain to put in w/ all the new lifters, degreeing, etc. I'm sure I can handle it. What does it mean when it says "not computer controlled compatible" ? I would guess that means you need chips.

So, can you break in the cam w/o the chips, or won't the car run?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 07-23-2007, 11:21 PM
black85
Pro

The Firstinjection tpi looks pretty bas ***. $1k isn't that bad I guess. Things add up quick!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:23 PM
vader86
Team Owner

That cam will work well but would prefer a little higher rpm range than TPI is suited to. It would allow you to look towards different intakes down the line though, without having to change the cam again to suit them. I wouldnt touch the FIRST.

Yes the stuff you see about "computer control" just means it'll need a chip, which any worth doing would need anyway.

It doesnt need the chip for cam break-in, but for regular use it will.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:18 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by vader86
That cam will work well but would prefer a little higher rpm range than TPI is suited to. It would allow you to look towards different intakes down the line though, without having to change the cam again to suit them. I wouldnt touch the FIRST.

Yes the stuff you see about "computer control" just means it'll need a chip, which any worth doing would need anyway.

It doesnt need the chip for cam break-in, but for regular use it will.

That being said,I ran this cam...
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...2&autoview=sku

Im not saying to use this,but it worked great in my 86 I used to have.
Thats with stock heads and intake manifold.If you have goals to install better heads,intake and etc,do what Vader suggested with a better cam in the upper range.

Also,notice this cam has a 114 LSA...the cam you showed was a 110...I think the stock cams around around 115...I believe you lose some engine vacuum with a lower LSA rating.

That can affect the vacuum for the brakes or etc somewhat.Im sure others will post better about it..its late,im tired and just going off some memory here.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:36 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I investigated First Injection last year. A nice system but a stock C4 hood wont close with it. It is very close but still it will touch in the front.

This was confirmed by First and a Vette owner with First Injection system.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:16 AM
emo-vet
Pro

Originally Posted by ToniH
I investigated First Injection last year. A nice system but a stock C4 hood wont close with it. It is very close but still it will touch in the front.

ken @ first injection makes up throttle body adaptor mod for $ 100.00 that angles down the throttle body so it wont hit the hood, so no problem there!
regards
shae
Old 07-24-2007, 07:26 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Thats positive news. This downward angle doesn't cause any prob with the throttle or TV cable angles?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:39 AM
black85
Pro

Aggravated4life--

First, thank you. Did you think that cam kit, http://store.summitracing.com/partde...2&autoview=sku ,
made a big difference in performance? I want to feel the difference after all that work. Sounds like a good bit more duration. I like the price! I really don't know much about choosing a cam. I will probably order this kit if no one has any better suggestions. This one is nice b/c it comes w/ new lifters.

I am not looking for a long term cam that will work w/ big cubes and intake later. I just want to maximize what I have for a year or so. MAXIMIZE being the key word here......So is there any more extreme cams that will kick *** w/ a fairly stock (well ported) TPI?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:44 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Look over this info

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/joe90/index8.shtml
Old 07-24-2007, 09:15 AM
black85
Pro

Thanks ld85. That sounds like a mean set up. Probably good for more than 12.6 sec.

I don't think my vette will be reassembled for a week or two now. I took it apart to bead blast the intake, but now porting, valve seals, springs, roller rockers and a cam are going back in.

It is just taking time to figure out what to do and buy!

Dave
Old 07-24-2007, 06:39 PM
emo-vet
Pro

Originally Posted by ToniH

update also, found out that ken mods the top of throttle body on the first intake and machines down the top a litle to clear corvette hoods now!
all problems solved!
cheers
regards
shae

Get notified of new replies

To What is the ultimate tpi cam?

Quick Reply: What is the ultimate tpi cam?