C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Practical advise needed...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Practical advise needed...

My new transmission installation project is nearly staged, when I ran into a couple questions I hope y'all can advise me on...

Let me preface my question by saying, in a perfect world, balancing would always be done. However, because this project seems to be running out in front of me faster than I can keep up, I gotz to ask...

1) Given:
The Helm's manual says to mark the clutch pressure plate/flywheel to preserve the balance once the pressure plate is reinstalled. However, I asked a "tech rep" at Veleo (the OEM of the clutch for the '95 AND my replacement) if it would be necessary to rebalance the new pressure plate/original flywheel combination? He told me they balance the pressure plates significantly better than requested by Chevrolet, and went on to say he wouldn't bother.

Question: Does Chevrolet balance the pressure plate/flywheel combination or just 'slap 'em on' and push them out? And, from a PRACTICAL point of view, should I skip balancing the new combo or is it important to rebalance? (Again, I don't want to cut corners, but at the same time I don't just want to be "polishing the lug nuts" either. Knowhaddimean?

2) Given:
The Helms manual says to mark the drive shaft and the differential yoke so as to assure balance when reassembling the two. I did that. But, I also decided to replace the U joints while I had it apart, and immediately AFTER I removed the transmission splined yoke at the other end of the drive shaft, it occurred to me that perhaps I should have marked that end of the shaft and the transmission yoke as well. After the fact, I didn't see in the Helms manual where marking the transmission yoke and the drive shaft was mentioned, but I may have missed that somewhere.

Question: Do I need to have the drive shaft rebalanced again, or is it of no "practical use"?

Thanks in advance,

P.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 07-25-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:34 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

You should have no trouble just re-installing them, they all should be nuetrally balanced,

Quick Reply: Practical advise needed...