C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ANother coilover post with a PIC !! Bent rear shock mount Seen !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 05:22 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm still unclear. I can or cannot jump the railroad tracks?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by jhammons01
I'm still unclear. I can or cannot jump the railroad tracks?
Sure!

Old 07-26-2007, 06:09 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Sure!

Where did you find that pic??

Look at the optical illusion of the RR Tire being low on air..........it is because the LF tire is just behind it.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:13 PM
GT40_GearHead
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that must be a photoshop right....?......right !?!?!?!? :|
Old 07-26-2007, 06:23 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys are funny. A cheap adjustable shock that is more then 3 pumps old will never have the force need to bend anything. Matter of fact, the shock is most likely just going up and down without any Shocking or dampening. Or like said before it could be locked up.

I had a old knuckle that got bent into almost half because of crash damage. Would posting a picture of that help any thing? NO.

Shock mounts are like UFOs. Everyone claims, but until I see one there is no way I am going to buy into it.

Randy
Old 07-26-2007, 06:40 PM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
This thread should be closed and deleted... enough bad info regarding coilovers we don't need any more MISinformation.
Yep. Its like cooties
Old 07-26-2007, 07:48 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
A cheap adjustable shock that is more then 3 pumps old will never have the force need to bend anything.
WTF? Are you saying the shocks don't transmit much force? I say you're wrong. If a shock can't carry a good portion of the spring force, then it can't dampen anything.

Matter of fact, the shock is most likely just going up and down without any Shocking or dampening.
What makes you think that based on the pic? What makes that any more likely than the shock being full of jelly beans?

Shock mounts are like UFOs. Everyone claims, but until I see one there is no way I am going to buy into it.

Randy
I recall a pic posted some time last year of a bent rear mount with a coilover. If this shock wasn't originally a coilover, how do you explain the threads?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Guys, help me out. I've looked at the (grainy) picture, and I can't make out the problem. The shock looks like it is at the normal angle for early C4's. What am I overlooking?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:21 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
WTF? Are you saying the shocks don't transmit much force? I say you're wrong. If a shock can't carry a good portion of the spring force, then it can't dampen anything.

What makes you think that based on the pic? What makes that any more likely than the shock being full of jelly beans?

I recall a pic posted some time last year of a bent rear mount with a coilover. If this shock wasn't originally a coilover, how do you explain the threads?
Ok,
A good shock will transfer a lot of force into the mounts. A worn out, damaged shock or just the wrong shock, will cause huge issues. The older cars are a weaker design for load carrying which isn't helping the car in the photo.

I don't know anything about Qa1s, besides they are local, and I don't think highly of them.

I have sold Bilstein threaded shock to leaf spring guys before.

Randy
Old 07-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Ray383
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would bet $1,000,000 that that car spun out and hit a curb. The wheel folded under the car and bent the beam that goes from the knuckle to the rear diff. The shock bottomed out and bent\destroyed the shock. When they replaced the shock and beam they missed\ignored the damage to the knuckle. Notice how much cleaner the beam is than the knuckle? Ask me how I know :o
Old 07-27-2007, 09:53 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

I would bet $1,000,000 that an alien spaceship abducted this car and its owner. The Supreme Alien, back on Planet Zroth, has a coilover-equipped C4 with a bent rear/lower shock mount and needed a good unit. While this C4's owner was under hypnosis, the helper-aliens removed his good carrier and swapped in the Supreme Alien's bent unit. The owner and car were then returned to the Hooter's parking lot in the dark hours of the morning, where he awoke thinking he just had a bad hangover.

This fact that the owner has no memory of the bent mount is proof positive for the Alien Abduction Theory!!

until I see one there is no way I am going to buy into it. Randy
So, you're implying that the lead picture was, like, photoshopped?
EDIT: looking at that picture again, the apparent proximity of the shock to the control link makes me think it's possible that the mount may have been intentionally bent to give more clearance.
Just one more theory....

Larry
code5coupe

Last edited by rocco16; 07-27-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:59 AM
VR'92
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Sure!

Love that pic.

Musta been a helluva landing.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:28 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Something happened to that knuckle. That is without doubt. And whatever it was had to be epic. So epic, I am surprised the rear spring didn't break, the tires explode and the batwing collapse.

The only other option is a stupid tow truck operator, or a bad casting from GM (and that never happens).

I would love to put that piece on a rig/press, just to see what kinda force it would take.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:51 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bogus
I would love to put that piece on a rig/press, just to see what kinda force it would take.
So would I! Bring your car over and I'll go pickup a force guage.

I'm 100% sure the distortion is caused by paranormal activity (ghost of Jesse James) resulting in light diffraction to the camera lens.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by 69427
Guys, help me out. I've looked at the (grainy) picture, and I can't make out the problem. The shock looks like it is at the normal angle for early C4's. What am I overlooking?
ttt
Old 07-27-2007, 12:27 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bogus
Something happened to that knuckle. That is without doubt. And whatever it was had to be epic. So epic, I am surprised the rear spring didn't break, the tires explode and the batwing collapse.

The only other option is a stupid tow truck operator, or a bad casting from GM (and that never happens).

We have bent the rear toe arm over 3 inches before and still no break. If you guys are going to be doing some destructive test, please be carefull.

Randy
Old 07-27-2007, 01:11 PM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Originally Posted by 69427
Look at the lower mount for the shock.

Get notified of new replies

To ANother coilover post with a PIC !! Bent rear shock mount Seen !!!!!

Old 07-27-2007, 01:13 PM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Ok,
A
I don't know anything about Qa1s, besides they are local, and I don't think highly of them.

Randy
To to get to far off topic but could you tell me why you don't like QA1's. I was thinking of buying a set for autox use.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:35 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the QA1's aand the only thing I "dont" like, its the diameter, they are a little larger than the others I saw out there during my studies,

All in all I like the adjustabliltiy of the QA1's, I will be doing my rears here pretty soon
Old 07-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by KCHOTBOAT
Look at the lower mount for the shock.
I did. Can you please explain to me what the problem is?

Quick Reply: ANother coilover post with a PIC !! Bent rear shock mount Seen !!!!!