C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

"91" Headlight Control Module.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:14 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default "91" Headlight Control Module.

Recently the headlights on my "91" Vette have been having an intermittent problem.

The right side headlight would not rotate up but lights up. If I rotate the manual **** a little, turn the headlight switch off and back on again, both headlights work fine for several tries.

When I turn the headlights on again several hours later, sometimes the driver side headlight won't rotate up but still lights up. If I rotate the manual **** a little, turn the headlight switch off and back on again, both headlights work fine again.

When I was driving home in the afternoon, I turned on the headlights just to see if they would work and both of the headlights wouldn't rotate up.

I checked power from the two red power wires going to the Headlight Control Module and both wires have 12.5 volts. I've ruled out the fusible links, motor assembly's and relays since everything actually works but, just intermittently. Also, all connections are clean.

I took apart the Headlight Control Module and I didn't see any bad or burnt solder joints. After searching here on the forum, I've narrowed it down to the Headlight Control Module, I just wanted to check here first from others who have experienced this problem before I spend $165 for a new headlight control module.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:10 PM
GKK
Safety Car

After more testing, I came to the conclusion that it has to be the headlight control module. I ordered one from Mid America part# 611-627 and I'll post if it solves the problem.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:42 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Sounds like you nailed it, but it might not be a bad idea to replace your headlight motor bushings, too.

They grind themselve to powder, resulting in your motors spinning, slipping and failing after 10 years or so or typical use.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:02 AM
GKK
Safety Car

I forgot to mention that I replaced the headlight bushings and plastic gears about a year ago. The headlight module should be here this friday.

Get notified of new replies

To "91" Headlight Control Module.

Quick Reply: "91" Headlight Control Module.