C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

newbie asking about hypertech

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Myrtlmoose
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie asking about hypertech

Okay, as a corvette for dummies level question.

I am a new owner of a '94 LT1. I have seen these hypertechs programmers...what effect do they have on a stock Lt1 with no mods so far?
Old 08-16-2007, 11:07 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

There is very little to be gained on an LT1 from a Hypertech programmer. GM did a pretty good job with the stock tune.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:48 AM
ggeiser
5th Gear

Default Hypertech

I have read elsewhere there is little to be gained. My personal experience differs.

I am programed for tune, temp, top speed, shift speeds and for my TransGo shift kit. If I remove the tune I notice a decreased performance at any and all speeds through WOT. It makes my 94 Vette start better, idle better and run better. The only negative about using my Hypertech programer is that I cannot de-tune it now. It would need to go to a dealership etc. to get re-flashed - or whatever they do to them. If I uninstall the Hypertech, it will no longer turn on the cooling fans and I overheat every time. Strange, yes, but true.

You have to use something to fix the computer if you put a shift kit in too. Hypertech does that. If you have nothing, the computer will smooth out the shifts for you, and cancel out what the shift kit is trying to do.

Also, I burn up my O2 sensors pretty frequently (25K). I haven't proven this to be because of Hypertech yet. I'll let you know. I am told it may be a bad MAP sensor causing this. I'm in here looking that up right now.

After "fixing" my O2 sensor, Chevy dealership told me it needed a new Optispark. But, they are idiots usually. They put one O2 sensor on for $425.00, then pulled a plug wire over the exhaust manifold causing it to burn through and wanted to charge me $1,000.00 to fix it by replacing the Optispark. Actual cost ZERO, Just fixed the spark plug wire placement and it is fine. Did I mention they are idiots?

Last edited by ggeiser; 08-18-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Torched96LT1
2nd Gear

Personally I would avoid it. I bought one when my car was stock. I took it to a Dyno and made 2 passes. We waited an hour and I then put the Hypertech on. I made two more passes and I lost between 5-7 hp across the board each time. We waited another hour and then took off the Hypertech and I made 2 more passess. I gained back the lost hp.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Myrtlmoose
Advanced

Default Thanks

Thanks for your responses...yeah I think I'll hold off and invest the $ in some other avenues...

Get notified of new replies

To newbie asking about hypertech

Quick Reply: newbie asking about hypertech