C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

90 no start after battery replacment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:16 AM
Electricblue80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 no start after battery replacment.

Getting my 90 auto back in running condition after it has been sitting up for a few years. We got the old gas out and put new gas in and changed the fuel filter. Put a charge on the old battery and the engine would turn over but very slowly. Got a new battery and installed it and now it will not turn over at all. All the lights work and are bright. Turn the key and the dash lights go out but no sound.

I understand these cars have a VATS. I have reason to believe the VATS pellet signal has been bypassed before. The key doesn't have a pellet in it. I know there is the start enable relay and the neutral switch.

Wondering what could have happened to cause a no crank problem from just changing the battery?

Thanks, Matt.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:20 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a voltage reading at the small starter solenoid wire (purple on my '86) while the key is in the "cranking" position. This will tell you right away if it's VATS or not.

If you get battery voltage there, it ain't vats. Starter is probably gone.

If no voltage to starter solenoid wire, start backtracing. Bypass the neutral switch, and starter enable relay one at a time and see what happenes.

http://www.vatssucks.com/
Old 08-22-2007, 09:42 AM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

Did you check all of the connections to make sure they are clean? Try bypassing the starter selenoid tol determine if it could be the starter.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Chris Kennedy
Instructor

Hi!

What I would recommend doing is to REALLY tighten down the negative battery cable. For some reason, even though the lights will go on, etc., unless the cable is really tightened down the car won't start. What you describe has happened to me, and that's what the problem was----weird, but true. Try it, and just don't assume the cable is tight enough because the lights go on.

Cheers,
/s/ Chris Kennedy
Old 08-22-2007, 09:59 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Check the conditions of the metal rings on the cable ends where they attach to the battery. Sometimes the negative cable ring will get corroded or the plastic cover will not allow that ring to make good contact.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:54 PM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as a test, you could put the other battery back and see what happens. Since the other battery enabled the car to start and the new one does not, swapping the old battery back will tell you some facts.

Get notified of new replies

To 90 no start after battery replacment.

Quick Reply: 90 no start after battery replacment.