C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bent Pushrod Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 06:10 PM
wtn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bent Pushrod Noise?

What sound does a bent pushrod make? Is it possible to sound like metal to metal rubbing and be quite loud? I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my '95 LT1. It sounds like its in the right rear (passenger) valve cover. When I pulled the cover everything looks OK.The pushrods that I could rotate (5 out of 8) seemed straight. This sound is LOUD. I guess I'll go back into it tomorrow and spin it with a remote start switch with the valve cover off to maybe isolate it. Does one actually have to remove the pushrod and roll it across a flat surface to check for trueness? BTW - the car runs fine.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:03 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you changed any valve train components recently?

When I had similar sounds on my new 96 LT1 engine it turned out to be rocker arm to valve cover baffle interference.

You should be able to see witness marks on the rocker arms and/or baffles if that's the case.

Jake
Old 08-26-2007, 08:21 PM
wtn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAKE
Have you changed any valve train components recently?

When I had similar sounds on my new 96 LT1 engine it turned out to be rocker arm to valve cover baffle interference.

You should be able to see witness marks on the rocker arms and/or baffles if that's the case.

Jake
No changes. Stock engine. This happened last Wednesday. Drove it about 30 miles that day. It ran fine - no noise at all. Sat in the driveway for a couple of hours and when I started it to put it in the garage, then the racket started.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:58 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Guess it's time to have a "look-see". I'd pull the valve covers and check things underneath. Look closely for a broken valve spring, rocker(s) much more loose than the others; pushrods, etc.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Jake
Old 08-28-2007, 05:13 PM
kennethmiller
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like you describe (I've had a bent pushrod on a 327), ticking kind of noise, metal on metal, fairly obvious which side of the engine it comes from. On mine, pushrod was obviously bent, and rocker was off the valve top....Car did still run close to normal, other than the noise.
Pull the valve cover on the loudest side and take a look. Good luck
Old 08-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cracked exhaust manifold perhaps?

Get notified of new replies

To Bent Pushrod Noise?

Quick Reply: Bent Pushrod Noise?