C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

58mm Throttle Body Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:22 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 58mm Throttle Body Fitment

1996 LT1

Thinking of installing a BBK 58 mm TB and am wondering how you guys deal with the MAF to TB accordian which'll have a smaller diameter.

I had a heck of a time getting the stock accordian to fit on a 52mm TB I installed on my 415 L98. So I'm hoping NOT to have deal with the same problem again.

Thanks,

Jake

Last edited by JAKE; 09-09-2007 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:37 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...=throttle+body
Old 08-31-2007, 09:44 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"I'm hoping NOT to have deal with the same problem again."

You will if you stay with the stock accordian piece you will have to deal with it.
Most upgraders are pre-stretching the piece before installing it ~ others are just replacing it.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:56 PM
JOHN89
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Home Depot plumbing reducer. It's like $6.

[IMG][/IMG]

John
Old 08-31-2007, 04:20 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A little lubrication should do the trick for this tight fit!!!!

Apply a little silicon grease to the rubber coupler and it should slip right together........

Worked for me......

Edit: I actually have the Edelbrock 58mm

Last edited by LT4BUD; 09-01-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:09 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The stock air intake fit the 58mm TB on my 95 but on Scranage's 92 the 58mm TB wouldn't fit on the stock air intake So if you have a later LT1 I bet it will fit fine. 58mm

Stock

Checking to see if it will work (it was a cold day in colorado (in the teens) the camera was balky the rubber stiff and if fit fine.)

Old 08-31-2007, 08:18 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Yep, I have a 96 LT1 setup: I should have listed that in my original post, knowing how some guys are about that little detail.

Heating and spraying lubricant on the 86 accordian didn't help me much. That's why I discounted it for my 96 project.

From the feedback I've received, now I'm going to order a BBK 58mm unit (UNLESS YOU GUYS ADVISE OTHERWISE), and first try the stock accordian.

If it fails, I'll try the Home Depot 4"to 3" reducer plumbing piece. If that doesn't work, I'll go with an aftermarket connectors.

Thanks for all the responses.

Jake
Old 08-31-2007, 08:26 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by JAKE
Yep, I have a 96 LT1 setup: I should have listed that in my original post, knowing how some guys are about that little detail.

Heating and spraying lubricant on the 86 accordian didn't help me much. That's why I discounted it for my 96 project.

From the feedback I've received, now I'm going to order a BBK 58mm unit (UNLESS YOU GUYS ADVISE OTHERWISE), and first try the stock accordian.

If it fails, I'll try the Home Depot 4"to 3" reducer plumbing piece. If that doesn't work, I'll go with an aftermarket connectors.

Thanks for all the responses.

Jake
Jake, just my 2 cents. Please dont take this as a dislike for BBK. I personally would, if I had the money, would get the Accell 58MM like Lingenfelter uses. The Idle passages are made as if the GM engineers made it. You do have to use an older L98 type TPS sensor,the adjustable type, but that is a simple cut/solder etc.
I had one on hand years ago, but returned because I didnt want to do the wireing thing thinking there was a better way. It wouldnt have made any difference on the TPS. But, I use a AS&M 58MM, and it is beautifully crafted.
But, I have heard BBK's have idle issues due to quality control, and that is not the area you want to be bad, with a high end big engine, when tuning will be needed.
Steve
Old 08-31-2007, 08:43 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

So, Steve, does the Arizona Speed and Marine unit call for the same TPS mods that the Accel unit does?

Thanks for your input.

Jake
Old 08-31-2007, 09:05 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by JAKE
So, Steve, does the Arizona Speed and Marine unit call for the same TPS mods that the Accel unit does?

Thanks for your input.

Jake
No, the AS&M uses the factory one. The only mods I did to it were the IAC passage way mod to ensure the air flow into the LT1 manifold was identical to the factory, and BlueWasp found out the throttle body need to be excavated a little to get WOT.
I have a thred of what I did somewhere. WIll look it up. Also, will look for the IAC mod.
The ACCELL needs just the TPS mod.
Follow this thread. http://members.***.net/chipsbyal/page/index.html
Its in his LT1/4 mods, "Improve your idle"
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1404085

Last edited by steve40th; 08-31-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:08 AM
85blkrose
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the same issue with my accell 58mm throttle body. i heated up some water to a boil in a pan, took the pan out to the garage and stuck the throttle body end or the duct in the water till it was softened up and slipped it right on. i split my old one at the seam thrying to put it on cold.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:38 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Thanks for all the responses. I'll post how it turns out.

Jake
Old 09-01-2007, 09:54 PM
vette punk
Racer

Default BBK Throttle Body

I heated up the stock accordian boot with a hair dryer to soften it and then pushed it on my Holley 58mm.
Also,speaking of throttle bodies,I have owned 2 Holley billet throttle bodies,52 and 58 mm,and have problems with throttle blades binding when hot on both units. Also have erratic idle issues. I would not recommend buying Holley throttle bodies. I also had to modify the TPS area on both units to get the TPS to fit. Look great-work like crap.
Just my 2 cents
Jim B.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:06 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My solution is to return the TB to sender and get a stock one. Hopefully he takes it back after all this time.

The early C4s have a plastic accordian duct, not rubber, and heat/lube does virtually nothing to help it fit. To top it off, they have a lip on the end of the throttle body. I think this is a BBK copy.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:53 PM
85blkrose
Racer

i must disagree with that statement about heat that CC made. if the plactic duct is heated the material will become softer and have the ability to stretch to alow it to slip over the lip of the throttle body.
lube wil do nothing to help the duct stretch which is what is need to get it to fit.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:01 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

I should have included this in my initial post; The TB is for a 96 LT1.

I added that info to the initial post: sorry 'bout that.

Jake
Old 09-09-2007, 08:52 AM
BlackC6LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve40th
No, the AS&M uses the factory one. The only mods I did to it were the IAC passage way mod to ensure the air flow into the LT1 manifold was identical to the factory, and BlueWasp found out the throttle body need to be excavated a little to get WOT.
I have a thred of what I did somewhere. WIll look it up. Also, will look for the IAC mod.
The ACCELL needs just the TPS mod.
Follow this thread. http://members.***.net/chipsbyal/page/index.html
Its in his LT1/4 mods, "Improve your idle"
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1404085
I have a BBK 58MM TB on my 88GTA and it took some lube to get the factory accordian to fit over it.

Thanks for posting that last link Steve. I have a ASM Monoblade and I have not been able to reach WOT while having it idle low and sit on the idle adjust screw or vice versa. I've been looking at the pictures and can' quite figureout how far down you went. Could you approximate? Also, how did you keep the same angle?

Get notified of new replies

To 58mm Throttle Body Fitment

Old 09-09-2007, 12:51 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I must be lucky I have an old BBK 58MM and zero idle issues. (I was looking for an excuse for a AS&M since they look so sweet) I've read a lot of bad things about the Holley which I find strange since their quality if usually pretty good.

Jake tell us how it turns out!!
Old 09-09-2007, 12:58 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 85blkrose
i must disagree with that statement about heat that CC made. if the plactic duct is heated the material will become softer and have the ability to stretch to alow it to slip over the lip of the throttle body.
lube wil do nothing to help the duct stretch which is what is need to get it to fit.
How much heat are we talking? Do you have to melt it first? Mine gets more flexible, but it isn't turning into a rubber band, at least not with my 3000 F heat gun.

The difference in inlet size is HUGE when counting that extra lip that sticks up on the aftermarket tb.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:39 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by BlackRoseLT1
I have a BBK 58MM TB on my 88GTA and it took some lube to get the factory accordian to fit over it.

Thanks for posting that last link Steve. I have a ASM Monoblade and I have not been able to reach WOT while having it idle low and sit on the idle adjust screw or vice versa. I've been looking at the pictures and can' quite figureout how far down you went. Could you approximate? Also, how did you keep the same angle?
The depth I went down into the valley is the length on the ruler. Yours should be close to the same distance, which is about
1/2 inch from the left to about 5/8 inch on the right, going from the center where she bolts to the throttle body to the right where the cable comes in from the driver. I put the white on there to show where I cut in relation to the center valley.
The angle isnt perfect but I used a dremel and went slow, did a little at a time, then checked till it was WOT and came all the way back.
I am sure if you knew someone with a more precise tools it would look better. Mine is more function, and I have a spare.
You could probably use a small round file and work it smooth. The white ont he side gives you an idea of the angle. Also, the AS$M is aggressive on there throttle angles, so a little grinding isnt going to hurt any performance.

Last edited by steve40th; 09-09-2007 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 58mm Throttle Body Fitment