C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Thinking about replacing/rebuilding my engine...Need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:47 PM
The Batmobile
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about replacing/rebuilding my engine...Need help!!!

Ok, I have a completely stock 85 L-98. It has 109,xxx miles on it, and I would like to either have it rebuilt or replaced. Heres the ideas Ive come up with so far...

Plan 1:
Pull the motor, have it bored, then put it back in.

Plan 2:
Buy an already machined block that is exactly the same as original, take the stuff off of my stock block and put it on the rebuilt one, then eventually have the original block rebuilt down the road.

What do yall think I should do? Possible prices (Just to let yall know, I would have my uncle help me pull the motor and reassemble it)? Also, if I was to go buy a block that matches the original, what block matches the original 350 block, so it would fit perfect without anything else being changed. Thanks, Zak.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:01 PM
The Batmobile
Instructor

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:39 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are you rebuilding an engine with only 109k on it? Do a compression test and see if the bottom end is worn out. If the bottom end is good, spend your money on heads/cam/intake and you'll be a lot happier with the results.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:47 PM
The Batmobile
Instructor

Originally Posted by JLeatherman
Why are you rebuilding an engine with only 109k on it? Do a compression test and see if the bottom end is worn out. If the bottom end is good, spend your money on heads/cam/intake and you'll be a lot happier with the results.

I dont know much about mechanics, what do you mean by the bottom end? I took my car to a mechanic because the car wasnt running right. Oil is fouling out one of my spark plugs. He said the valve seals/rings need to be replaced.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:28 PM
evmlarry
Pro

Originally Posted by The Batmobile
Oil is fouling out one of my spark plugs. He said the valve seals/rings need to be replaced.
Hmmm... what backing was there behind the ring replacement? Did he run a leak down or compression test on it? Valve seals are easy and can be done with the engine in the car. I wouldn't just jump on a rebuild unless absolutely necessary.

If you do choose to rebuild, you really need to ask yourself what you're wanting to do with the engine. For example, I rebuilt my engine just recently and I didn't really have the money for a build up and I'm also just looking to cruise and not 1/4 mile it... in that case, I just went for a rebuild of the engine with it costing me just a little over $800 including machine shop work.

It all just depends on what your ultimate plans are and how much you want to spend on it.

I wouldn't just suspect the engine is shot due to oil fouled plugs without further diagnosis. You could end up saving yourself hundreds of dollars considering the high quality Viton valve seals go for $7.99 a box at Oreilys. If that solves your issue, then you could spend those hundreds of dollars on upgrades if that's the path you ultimately want to go.

JMHO.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:35 PM
The Batmobile
Instructor

Originally Posted by evmlarry
Hmmm... what backing was there behind the ring replacement? Did he run a leak down or compression test on it? Valve seals are easy and can be done with the engine in the car. I wouldn't just jump on a rebuild unless absolutely necessary.

If you do choose to rebuild, you really need to ask yourself what you're wanting to do with the engine. For example, I rebuilt my engine just recently and I didn't really have the money for a build up and I'm also just looking to cruise and not 1/4 mile it... in that case, I just went for a rebuild of the engine with it costing me just a little over $800 including machine shop work.

It all just depends on what your ultimate plans are and how much you want to spend on it.

I wouldn't just suspect the engine is shot due to oil fouled plugs without further diagnosis. You could end up saving yourself hundreds of dollars considering the high quality Viton valve seals go for $7.99 a box at Oreilys. If that solves your issue, then you could spend those hundreds of dollars on upgrades if that's the path you ultimately want to go.

JMHO.

Yeah, I think Im just going to get it running right, then go after upgrades. What does it sound like needs to be done to the valves? Any suggestions for upgrades?
Old 09-30-2007, 09:19 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "bottom end" is the rotating assembly (pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc) and the block. "top end" is cam/heads etc. Do a compression test, or have one done. This will tell you if you need rings (doubtful but possible). If oil is being consumed because of bad rings, you'll have to remove the engine and should bore it out. If the oil is merely a head problem you have a great excuse to get a heads/cam/exhaust package for some good horsepower. Or, if you just wanna get it going again you can slap on a set of stock heads in a weekend and be goin again.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:17 AM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default no mechanic

Since you are not into building engines yourself, inexpensive engine replacement is available from GM. Last time I looked you can get a 290Horsepower new, everything brand new, 350 engine for a reasonable price and comes with a warranty.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:38 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If you are dead set on getting a motor, buy one in a crate, swap the accessor over and drop it in. No waiting for machinists, delays, god forbid there is a problem and you cant get him to stand behind it.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about replacing/rebuilding my engine...Need help!!!

Quick Reply: Thinking about replacing/rebuilding my engine...Need help!!!