C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help, Single brake caliper sticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 AM
BigTodd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help, Single brake caliper sticking

I am helping a buddy figure out why his 90 coupe front passenger side brake caliper keeps sticking, eating up the brake pad. It's the only caliper sticking of the four.

Question: Can brake fluid pressure build up in one line and force the caliper to stay applied while the others release? Or other reasons?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTodd
I am helping a buddy figure out why his 90 coupe front passenger side brake caliper keeps sticking, eating up the brake pad. It's the only caliper sticking of the four.

Question: Can brake fluid pressure build up in one line and force the caliper to stay applied while the others release? Or other reasons?
.....there is a guide(s) that the pads slide on...be sure it is clean and lightly greased. that may solve your problem...however, it sonds more like you will need a new caliper......
Old 10-01-2007, 11:52 AM
mbfan72
Advanced

I had the same issue when I bought my 87 Corvette. It turned out that the ABS module was not releasing the pressure on that line. Once module was switched the problem vanished
Old 10-01-2007, 11:59 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Check the condition of the guide pins and if they have grease in them.

Very easy to do. Remvoe the two small bolts at either end of the caliper and pull it off the rotor (the pad will drop out so make sure you remember which is the inside pad and the outside pad!).

The guide pins pull out easily; just slide the small rubber boot off the retaining lip and pull the pin out. It should have grease on the pin and in the hole in the caliper body. If they are dry, I would suggest getting new guide pins. They will come with new bolts (with threadlocker already on them) and a small packet of grease for the guide pins. Torque these bolts to 25 ft-lbs.

If that isn't the fix, then do a complete flush of the brake fluid. It's possible that there is some material in the fluid that is blocking the line so when you release the pedal, there is still some pressure in the one line going to that caliper.

Other possibilities are a sticky piston inside the caliper or the flexible brake line going to that caliper is collapsing or has broken internally.

You didn't say what the mileage is on the car, or when the last brake job was done, but I would be replacing all of the flex lines, do a complete flush of the fluid using a good quality DOT3 fluid and replace all of the guide pins.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:31 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
A sticky piston inside the caliper or the flexible brake line going to that caliper is collapsing or has broken internally.
This would be my first thought. Loosen the flex line at the caliper and see if it releases.

Originally Posted by mbfan72
I had the same issue when I bought my 87 Corvette. It turned out that the ABS module was not releasing the pressure on that line. Once module was switched the problem vanished
This would be my second thought. Not a big ticket item but they do go bad especially in 80s type models.

After that, a good visual on the hard line to see if was crushed. And then everything else.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:57 PM
BigTodd
Racer

Great info guy's, we have replaced the caliper and that did not seem to fix the problem. We also replaced the flex line. I have the car up on my lift today and will be finding the slide pins, cleaning and greasing.

I am very interested in the ABS module, I really suspect that is the problem, Where can I find the module, is it in the engine compartment? What does it look like?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Blownfuel1
Racer

I "think" (actually I'm pretty sure, or I wouldn't have posted) that it's in/around the left Storage Compartment behind the seat!
Old 10-01-2007, 02:24 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

The ABS unit is in a compartment behind the driver. You will see all the lines to the unit. I have not worked on a 90 for ABS so I hesitate to give you any more details that might be inaccurate. I am more familiar with the 92-94s. I believe the brake computer in there also.

There are used ones one around from used part dealers. Also Ebay.

Good luck
Old 10-01-2007, 03:54 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The ABS pump is in the compartment behind the drivers seat. There is a separate procedure for bleeding the ABS so if you do install an replacement, it's best to have that procedure available or get it done.

Definitely do a complete fluid flush with a new ABS pump. If there's any chance of particles in the fluid somewhere, it's possible that it could wind up in the new ABS unit.

Use a turkey baster and suck out the old fluid from the master cylinder reservoir and fill with fresh fluid before bleeding.

Get notified of new replies

To Help, Single brake caliper sticking

Quick Reply: Help, Single brake caliper sticking