C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Am I screwed ??

Old 10-08-2007, 06:16 PM
blkrx8
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I screwed ??

Long story short....
Wife took my 85 Vette out...heard a loud noise...turned around and headed home...car was very hard to steer and smoking...( her words ) drove it about 15 miles then it went dead at a stop sign and would not start...turns out the Accessory belt broke....I replaced that and now the car runs really rough...will not idle and smokes white smoke from the exhaust....it ran like a dream before this happened...am I totally screwed or is there something else I need to do.....Please help me out....
Old 10-08-2007, 06:28 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,331 Likes on 673 Posts

Sounds like the serpentine belt broke, when the belt goes the waterpump on the L98 cars quits pumping and the power stering pump quits working too. They are both belt driven. The white smoke sounds like it got really hot because she kept driing it and it popped a head gasket. Check your oil for coolant. Look at the bright side if she popped a head gasket now is the perfect time for a heads and cam swap.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

.....sounds like coolant in the combustion chambers.......also check your oil.....had a car one time that after if ran for a bit would smoke like all hell..tore it down to trash the engine and took the head off and found a dime sized hole in the top of the piston...
Old 10-08-2007, 07:31 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JD'S WHITE 93
Sounds like the serpentine belt broke, when the belt goes the waterpump on the L98 cars quits pumping and the power stering pump quits working too. They are both belt driven. The white smoke sounds like it got really hot because she kept driing it and it popped a head gasket. Check your oil for coolant. Look at the bright side if she popped a head gasket now is the perfect time for a heads and cam swap.

Hopefully she did not drive it enough to overheat the motor severly though.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:34 PM
williammackean
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07

How long was the drive home? Hiway? Side roads? Idle time?

Sounds like the head gaskets are gonners, but there's a chance the heads themselves are damaged.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:35 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

She should have just pulled the car off the road and shut it off.

Perhaps women need an emergency briefing before taking the vette out. If it turns out to be a head gasket, fork her the bill.

Last edited by 86PACER; 10-08-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Def sounds like a head gasket. be careful trying to start it though for checking things out. Coolant can leak into the cylinder while at rest and hydrolock the motor. If you try to start it, REALLY bad things can happen.

Remove the plugs and hit the starter, that will squirt any coolant out of the sp. plug hole.

Good luck and if nothing else, find a set of late C4 alum heads. These should be reasonably priced. The 85 heads are terrible and I could not imagine putting them back on.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:45 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

She drove it until it stopped. You would be the luckiest man in the world if all it needs is a head gasket or two. That baby got cooked. I would be reluctant to use THAT as a core, depending on what you find on the tear down.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

Sorry, but it appears that the answer is, "Yes."

Look on the bright side, time to do that upgrade that you've been thinking about and you can blame it on the spouse. Not that you will actually say those words of course.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:11 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If women are allowed to have drivers licenses, the dummy lights should be redesigned to pull their hair and slap them when oil pressure or coolant temp is out of spec.

Obviously the single, big, red light on the dashboard wasn't clear enough for here.

My dad put 280,000 mi on his Suburban on the original engine. Sold it to a friend and within 2 weeks the friends wife destroyed it driving without oil pressure.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:18 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
If women are allowed to have drivers licenses, the dummy lights should be redesigned to pull their hair and slap them when oil pressure or coolant temp is out of spec.

Obviously the single, big, red light on the dashboard wasn't clear enough for here.

My dad put 280,000 mi on his Suburban on the original engine. Sold it to a friend and within 2 weeks the friends wife destroyed it driving without oil pressure.
...hahaaaahahah.....
Old 10-09-2007, 07:23 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Why would you let your wife take your Vette?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:28 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas

Originally Posted by blkrx8
Long story short....
Wife took my 85 Vette out...heard a loud noise...turned around and headed home...car was very hard to steer and smoking...( her words ) drove it about 15 miles then it went dead at a stop sign and would not start...turns out the Accessory belt broke....I replaced that and now the car runs really rough...will not idle and smokes white smoke from the exhaust....it ran like a dream before this happened...am I totally screwed or is there something else I need to do.....Please help me out....
Yep......this is the screwing you get for the screwing you got. You deserve half the blame for letting a woman drive an old car.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:48 AM
dan0617
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster

That is the best idea I've ever heard. The sad part is after a woman kills a car she blames the car or the guy that owns it.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:43 AM
blkrx8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by williammackean
How long was the drive home? Hiway? Side roads? Idle time?

Sounds like the head gaskets are gonners, but there's a chance the heads themselves are damaged.
Thanks for all the replies. I am leaning toward a blown head gasket. She drove the car approx 15 miles mostly highway and said she drove normal speeds ( 60 -70 ) then when she turned off the highway into our neighborhood it went dead at the first stop sign.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:22 AM
SCCA VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by blkrx8
Thanks for all the replies. I am leaning toward a blown head gasket. She drove the car approx 15 miles mostly highway and said she drove normal speeds ( 60 -70 ) then when she turned off the highway into our neighborhood it went dead at the first stop sign.

60-70 MPH for 15 miles without coolant flow after it is already at operating temp! Did the motor crank at all or slow when it died?

I would be worried about more than head gaskets!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Puna
Instructor

Not compared to the screwing your wallet is going to get!

Get notified of new replies

To Am I screwed ??

Old 10-09-2007, 12:01 PM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
She drove it until it stopped. You would be the luckiest man in the world if all it needs is a head gasket or two. That baby got cooked. I would be reluctant to use THAT as a core, depending on what you find on the tear down.

RACE ON!!!
I got to agree here.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:29 PM
blkrx8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SCCA VETTE
60-70 MPH for 15 miles without coolant flow after it is already at operating temp! Did the motor crank at all or slow when it died?

I would be worried about more than head gaskets!
It cranked on the first try after I replaced the belt but just idled rough and smoked lots of white smoke from the exhaust.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:52 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Ouch$ !!

she owes you a week of BJs, minimum

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I screwed ??