C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Couple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 PM
floridaZ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple Questions

Okay, I've been tuning my Vette for a couple years. But I've never actually been part of a group I could get information from. So forgive me if some of my questions seem newbish.

Alright, the first question I have is: are there any carbon fiber panels for the interior of the 84 style interior? I've done a little searching, but there only seems to be for the later style C4, C5, and the C6. The main piece I would be wanting would be the top of the dash, since it is cracked all to hell. Other pieces would be cool, but if all else fails I could make most of them myself.

Question number two: I have the auto. I want a manual transmission, but I don't want the 4+3 (if I don't know how it works, I don't want it... ). Besides, the daily driver shouldn't have a manual while the weekend car has an auto... So I was looking at the 6 speed manual transmissions. Will the transmission bolt directly up to the engine? I'm sure that I would need a different driveshaft. I'm assuming the 6 speed would be a good match, but I don't know if it will bolt up to the D36 differential.

Which brings me to question number three: what is the power potential of the D36? Mine was rebuilt before I bought the car so I'm not too worried about it wearing out through daily driving. But I've run 350hp, 500hp, and now 400hp through it, and I admit that I run it pretty hard. Seeing as it was meant to be run in a car with 205hp, I've become worried about how long it will last. So I was looking in the OEM market for a replacement. Seeing as my goal is eventually to have 950whp, are the OEM diffs even worth considering? Is there a certain aftermarket company I should be looking at?

Question number four: hoods. I've seen huge cowls and the like, but does any company make a simple OEM style lightweight hood for the C4? The stock piece is very heavy so weight reduction there would make me happy. It would also make the hood easier to open (WHY is the prop on the other side of the car again?). Again, I don't want some radical thing, just something I can paint and will go unnoticed. Or am I just going to have to get out the aluminum sheeting and start cutting and welding?

Thanks for any help in advance. And sorry if my questions have been answered a million times before, I don't have much time to search the site.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:37 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by floridaZ
Okay, I've been tuning my Vette for a couple years. But I've never actually been part of a group I could get information from. So forgive me if some of my questions seem newbish.

Alright, the first question I have is: are there any carbon fiber panels for the interior of the 84 style interior? I've done a little searching, but there only seems to be for the later style C4, C5, and the C6. The main piece I would be wanting would be the top of the dash, since it is cracked all to hell. Other pieces would be cool, but if all else fails I could make most of them myself.

Question number two: I have the auto. I want a manual transmission, but I don't want the 4+3 (if I don't know how it works, I don't want it... ). Besides, the daily driver shouldn't have a manual while the weekend car has an auto... So I was looking at the 6 speed manual transmissions. Will the transmission bolt directly up to the engine? I'm sure that I would need a different driveshaft. I'm assuming the 6 speed would be a good match, but I don't know if it will bolt up to the D36 differential.

Which brings me to question number three: what is the power potential of the D36? Mine was rebuilt before I bought the car so I'm not too worried about it wearing out through daily driving. But I've run 350hp, 500hp, and now 400hp through it, and I admit that I run it pretty hard. Seeing as it was meant to be run in a car with 205hp, I've become worried about how long it will last. So I was looking in the OEM market for a replacement. Seeing as my goal is eventually to have 950whp, are the OEM diffs even worth considering? Is there a certain aftermarket company I should be looking at?

Question number four: hoods. I've seen huge cowls and the like, but does any company make a simple OEM style lightweight hood for the C4? The stock piece is very heavy so weight reduction there would make me happy. It would also make the hood easier to open (WHY is the prop on the other side of the car again?). Again, I don't want some radical thing, just something I can paint and will go unnoticed. Or am I just going to have to get out the aluminum sheeting and start cutting and welding?

Thanks for any help in advance. And sorry if my questions have been answered a million times before, I don't have much time to search the site.
I work with a few guys that sound like you. I read and research, and then am expected to spoon-feed them. Your questions are legit and this is the place to find the details. But not the general questions, will Trans bolt to engine? What companies make composite interior pieces? Catalogs, Helms, Chillton, and all the mags that are printed every month. After all after 30+ years of subscribing to Playboy Mag I still learn new things. (My co-workers never ask about that stuff, my wife doesn't complain ). Maybe reading can be fun.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:30 PM
floridaZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pkazsr
I work with a few guys that sound like you. I read and research, and then am expected to spoon-feed them. Your questions are legit and this is the place to find the details. But not the general questions, will Trans bolt to engine? What companies make composite interior pieces? Catalogs, Helms, Chillton, and all the mags that are printed every month. After all after 30+ years of subscribing to Playboy Mag I still learn new things. (My co-workers never ask about that stuff, my wife doesn't complain ). Maybe reading can be fun.
That's not it at all. I've searched several times recently, including going into a couple of the companies advertised on this board. I'm actually starting with the dash since, like I said, it was cracked. I have the MAM catalouge, but I don't remember how old it is and I can't remember seeing anything except for OEM replacements. Besides, I'm searching for the answers to the questions I haven't asked here.

As for the tranny, I have done some reading and I have seen that there are several transmissions used over the years that the C4 was made. Several different engines too. I know that most are based off the same block and therefore should have the same bellhousing. But I'd kind of like to know for sure.

I'm sorry that after being a member of the forum 3 days that I haven't searched the entire thing and don't know the answers to my questions.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:42 PM
staugur
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by floridaZ
That's not it at all. I've searched several times recently, including going into a couple of the companies advertised on this board. I'm actually starting with the dash since, like I said, it was cracked. I have the MAM catalouge, but I don't remember how old it is and I can't remember seeing anything except for OEM replacements. Besides, I'm searching for the answers to the questions I haven't asked here.

As for the tranny, I have done some reading and I have seen that there are several transmissions used over the years that the C4 was made. Several different engines too. I know that most are based off the same block and therefore should have the same bellhousing. But I'd kind of like to know for sure.

I'm sorry that after being a member of the forum 3 days that I haven't searched the entire thing and don't know the answers to my questions.
Don't worry about it.The guy taking you down has been on for a whole three months.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:55 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by staugur
Don't worry about it.The guy taking you down has been on for a whole three months.
Ditto:
But your best friend here is to learn to use the Search function on the main menu bar:
Search, Advanced, Include Archive Posts, Pic C4 section (general or Tech) and search... all your question have prop been covered to some degree in the archive posts... I've found 70% of my question and addl info going this route, then when you do as a specific question you'll get good responses.

Blow off the 3 month newbee answer... Research and have fun
Old 10-12-2007, 01:32 AM
floridaZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vinnies87
Blow off the 3 month newbee answer... Research and have fun
I just got a little pissed about what happened is all. I post, spend the next hour searching, then come back to find some guy telling me to search.

But I guess it all ends in a search anyways... But I still can't find a thread about CF interior pieces for my interior:

They all seem to be for the later "wrap around cockpit" style. Which is why I asked. The search: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...archid=6306421

As for the diff... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...archid=6306468
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...archid=6306478

And the word "the" really screws up the results... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ial+of+the+D36

Now as for the transmission... I was going to ask instead of running a search for every tranny type. And then finding out which can be built for my power goals. I'll search later.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The only dash pads I have ever seen are the OEM type which you can get through Ecklers, Mid America or Corvette Central. They are expensive at $500. An option is to go to a Corvette salvager like Contemporary Corvette, Vette2Vette or Mrs. G's. These used dash pads in fairly good condition run in the $200 - $250 range.

Check out Richmond Gear which makes a solid 5 speed transmission which is (generally) a direct replavement for the Doug Nash 4+3 tranny.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:24 PM
floridaZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pmihaltian
The only dash pads I have ever seen are the OEM type which you can get through Ecklers, Mid America or Corvette Central. They are expensive at $500. An option is to go to a Corvette salvager like Contemporary Corvette, Vette2Vette or Mrs. G's. These used dash pads in fairly good condition run in the $200 - $250 range.

Check out Richmond Gear which makes a solid 5 speed transmission which is (generally) a direct replavement for the Doug Nash 4+3 tranny.
Thanks, exactly the feedback I was wanting.

Get notified of new replies

To Couple Questions

Quick Reply: Couple Questions