C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clutch presure hard again........??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 12:19 PM
92corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Clutch presure hard again........?????? (apollo30346)

On your year, you may not have to remove the slave, I'm not sure since mine is a 92. Actually I think the haynes manual said I didn't have to remove mine either, but I did. Anyway, I suppose if the bleed vavle is on the top side you should try without removing it.
I got my pump from Harbor Freight Tools, but I have seen them in auto parts departments at many other places. They are normally about $25-30, but they are useful for other purposes also, like checking EGR etc.
I gotta tell you, I tried the 2 person pump the pedal and bleed method several times and never got it right until I used the vacuum pump. I have done many cars that way over the years but coulnd't get the 'vette' clutch done by having someone pump the pedal.
I see you do have a volunteer helper so it would only cost you a can of fluid to try and see if you two can get it done without a pump.
BTW, I'm not sure about your year, but when I changed the master, I had to remove the side panel and battery to get to it. I also had to use swivel sockets and lots of finese to manuver the bolts out of the firewall.
Good luck with it.....
Old 11-21-2001, 03:18 PM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Clutch presure hard again........?????? (92corvette)

Yeah, I would like to get it right the 1st time.... My girl said she would help....but you know how that goes, it's not like having someone else who knows what there doing and don't have to explain it to them..... You know what I mean... Good thing she isn't looking over my shoulder right now...I would get a smack....hahahaha.....

Anyways, I will try and get to a parts house tonight to see if they have a pump. Can you describe it for me, so I know what a I am looking for?

My master is easy to get to it's right on the very top and can get to the 2 bolts easy.... So if I have to go to that way it wont be that bad. I know there must be air because I tried to work the air out by just pumping the clutch over and over again and side stepping it over and over again. Does not do anything then, but then when I leave in the mornings it's spongy and grabs right as soon as you ease your foot off the floor. But then goes right back to the way it is now after about 30 min's of driving.

Thanks again for the help....It will go to use... If I am missing something, let me know....

Old 11-21-2001, 06:18 PM
ZylaRace
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Clutch presure hard again........?????? (apollo30346)

Guess you were refering to the NASCAR race rather than RdAtl.
Go to Pep or AZone and ask for a mightyvac hand vacuum pump. Should be in the $20 range. The Phenoix pressure bleeder will run $100.

I'll be in Roswell @ the shop (near Pep) if you need a hand. (Most of the weekend. Send me Email. I'll try to remember to check it.)

Enjoy
Old 11-22-2001, 12:24 AM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Clutch presure hard again........?????? (ZylaRace)

Zylarace,

Good to hear from a fellow Georgia person, I don't have a spare slave cylinder, but you are welcome to look at mine any time. Yes, that would be great to borrow your hand vac pump. I am going to try the 2 person theory, that is if my girl will let me into the garage on turkey day... hahaha... It is driving me nuts with this thing. Now I wished I would have chose the auto... But I went for mileage.....

thanks again for the info and help...
Old 11-22-2001, 12:29 AM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Clutch presure hard again........?????? (ZylaRace)

Yup I was at the NASCAR race.... But i'm sure it would have been great to see where you were at too. That would be great if we could get together to give it a check..... I'll drop you an e-mail....

I know just where that pep is... I use to live in Roswell and now in the Vinings..

Thanks again... and have a great Thanksgiving....

Quick Reply: Clutch presure hard again........??????