C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How fast will a fuel pump fry when running dry?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:50 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How fast will a fuel pump fry when running dry?

So, as per my earlier post my fuel pump appears incapable of keeping pace with my carb, which is surprising given it's an 85 TPI pump and I only need 4-6 pounds of fuel pressure. Thinking back I realize that while checking the connections to the fuel pump we accidentally ran it about 10-15 minutes with a basically empty tank (empty enough that we didn't get any fuel at the regulator). We thought there was gas in the tank and it was an electrical problem keeping us from getting any fuel, but it turned out the pump ran just fine and the tank had evaporated/leaked whatever fuel had been in there over the last year. Is it possible we killed this pump? It still pumps fuel, but I can't keep the carb full and I've checked all the connections. Will a fried pump still work, but with very little flow/pressure or will it stop working all together? Is there any way I can check the pump besides replacing it and seeing if the new one works?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah its possible but i'd check to see if it turns on. When you turn the key to on, you should hear it making noise for a second or two. If thats all good then check the fuel pressure and if thats all good then so is your pump.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:19 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you ran the pump dry, the impeller seal most likey over heated and even if the pump runs now it wont suck any fuel into it
Old 10-17-2007, 12:53 AM
GS4-LT1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my wife burnt hers out in less than a minute
Old 10-17-2007, 06:29 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Sounds like that's my problem then. It ran for atleast 10 minutes when the tank was dry enough that nothing was coming out at the regulator. *sigh* I get fuel now, and pressure when the engine is not running, but as soon as the engine starts the pressure drops to zero and it runs the bowls dry. Guess I'll look for a new pump.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:38 AM
badabing9
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-17-2007, 08:59 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JLeatherman
Guess I'll look for a new pump.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/FUEL-PUMP-CAMARO-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 10-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How are you regulating fuel pressure?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Mallory 4307M bypass-style regulator. 4-25 psi capable.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:16 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

OK, I had to take a little hiatus from workin on the vette. Last night I finally got my buddy over and we decided to mess with the fuel pump. Took the line off at the regulator and ran the pump and a ton of gas came out. Flow was great at effectively 0 psi. Now, taking my fingers I pinched the rubber hose partially closed. When we restarted the pump the flow was down to almost nothing. It kinda gurgled and trickled. Releasing the hose and the flow comes back, pinch it and the flow is practically nothing again. I'm pretty sure the pump is bad. Is that what it sounds like? I've got nothing to compare it to, but it seems like the flow should stay pretty high even when increasing the pressure (restriction).
Old 10-23-2007, 09:29 AM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

pump is bad. Is that what it sounds like?
nope...sounds like another case of ''the gizzy inside the tank that connects the pump to the steel fuel line is split and bypasses everything back into the tank as soon as there's any restriction downstream''.

BTDT
Old 10-23-2007, 10:02 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Come again??? You mean you think there's a split in the rubber hose that connects the pump to the steel line of the sending unit?

Anyone else had this happen with similar symptoms?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:11 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

I believe Redrose is talking about the pulse damper that is between pump and steel line. That part caused my fuel pressure to drop to zero within seconds of shutdown. Removed it and replaced with a piece of fuel injection hose and 2 clamps, all good now.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:24 AM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Come again??? You mean you think there's a split in the rubber hose that connects the pump to the steel line of the sending unit?
?
i don't ''swear'' that there is, but have seen several exhibit your symptoms, would look there first... very early c4's have a hose, later early (?) have a ''pulsator''...i have a hose connector hanging on the wall that looks ok (only slight ''checking) until the pump is immersed in gas and powered up, then gas sprays out thru the hose wall in numerous directions (don't try this at home, ''spray'' goes EVERYWHERE)...reports of ''pulsator'' diaphram split are common.

NOT to recommend that you try this as gasoline vapor is prolly the most dangerous explosion hazard encountered, but my ''test'' rig is a plastic gallon milk jug with a big hole cut in the side, under an inverted glass fish tank, plastic drain pan to a ''catch can''... set up outdoors abt 50 feet from the nearest thing of any value...milk jug abt 1/2 full of gas to immerse the pump/pickup.

Last edited by redrose; 10-23-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:20 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Anyone else had this happen with similar symptoms?
YEP! Even if the hose isn't split or leaking, it costs nothing to check. I had to track down, find, and fix mine while I was hundreds of miles from home at the Division 7 Bracket finals.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:15 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Ok, checked the rubber piece and it seemed ok but I replaced it anyway. I ran the pump and checked the pressure. With the engine off I could build 15 pounds of pressure. With the pump off, it would hold that pressure for over a full minute. No leak down. BUT, when Is tarted the car the pressure gradually headed to 0 again and the car starved for fuel. It's gotta be the pump now, right?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:30 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

It's gotta be the pump now, right?
pump maybe.
electrical ''harness'' maybe (in tank, end connectors corrode, $11@ napa).
press regulator in throttlebody maybe. (diaphram kit @ napa)

Get notified of new replies

To How fast will a fuel pump fry when running dry?

Old 10-23-2007, 09:42 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

I suppose it could be electrical connections. I'll check the resistance on them.

As for the regulator, there's no throttle body anymore (carb) and it's an external regulator. Plus, even if I pinch off the return line after the regulator, so all the fuel has to be going to the carb, I can't build any pressure once the engine is running. It's really weird.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:23 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Any second opinions??? Or any other suggestions???
Old 10-24-2007, 08:34 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Took the line off at the regulator and ran the pump and a ton of gas came out. Flow was great at effectively 0 psi. Now, taking my fingers I pinched the rubber hose partially closed. When we restarted the pump the flow was down to almost nothing. It kinda gurgled and trickled. Releasing the hose and the flow comes back, pinch it and the flow is practically nothing again. I'm pretty sure the pump is bad.

Plus, even if I pinch off the return line after the regulator, so all the fuel has to be going to the carb, I can't build any pressure once the engine is running. It's really weird.
Sure sounds like a new pump is in order.
Did you set up the fuel bowl level(s) ??

Quick Reply: How fast will a fuel pump fry when running dry?