C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need suggestions for a new setup....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:23 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

The TPI will hold you back from your goal. You will need to get an Accel intake base (or similar), large tube runners and port the Plenum if you can't find something better.

If you do a compression check on the engine first, you may not need to pull and rebuild. If the compression check is good, then proceed with bolt ons. Heads, 1.5 & 1.6 roller rockers (do a search on this and read up), intake, replace injectors (?? stock is 24# and adequate to handle 300-375 HP), adjustable fuel pressure regulator, large tube runners, better plenum (or port yours). Headers would help the engine breath better, but check for your smog regulations before going with these. Larger front "Y" or go duels. High flow cat.

Best of luck.....
Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

Here is an informative site on heads for you to review:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...fo/heads1.html

This covers most of the heads that are out there. For what you are looking for 350 HP you want a good street head that is not over 190cc. If you go larger, it will have a reverse affect on the engine and bog it down.

Also try this site:

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm

For a street engine, airflow at 0.400 inch lift is a good place to evaluate the flow of the head. Also look at the numbers at .200 and
.300, this will give you a rough idea of the performance getting into your engine's power band.

PLEASE CHECK OUT forum member VADER86. He has a great web site with a wealth of information on building engines.

Last edited by John A. Marker; 10-23-2007 at 12:08 AM. Reason: add Vader86's site
Old 10-23-2007, 07:34 AM
The Batmobile
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
The TPI will hold you back from your goal. You will need to get an Accel intake base (or similar), large tube runners and port the Plenum if you can't find something better.

If you do a compression check on the engine first, you may not need to pull and rebuild. If the compression check is good, then proceed with bolt ons. Heads, 1.5 & 1.6 roller rockers (do a search on this and read up), intake, replace injectors (?? stock is 24# and adequate to handle 300-375 HP), adjustable fuel pressure regulator, large tube runners, better plenum (or port yours). Headers would help the engine breath better, but check for your smog regulations before going with these. Larger front "Y" or go duels. High flow cat.

Best of luck.....

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:57 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems to me he stated "300+HP", not 350+. And he didn't mention chp, or rwhp. 300 chp should be a cinch....low budget too!

I think it's great for a young man to tackle something like this...with a little help...C5, get real, now were talking $$$ for a 16 yr. old.
Go for it.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:07 AM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The Batmobile
Keep in mind also, I would like to keep the TPI.
stock tpi will do 250 hp, maybe a bit more, on a 350 c.i....same on a 305 c.i. or a 400...modifying the stock tpi to get 300 hp is only worth doing as a challange, if you have the time/ ability/ $...with an lt1 intake and mild compression increase your present engine will in the 300 Hp range.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:35 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Since he's going 30 over, he's at 355 CID, increase the compression from 9:1 (30 over needs new pistons anyhow) might as well go 9.5:1 or easily 10:1, ditch the old iron heads and pick up some newer aluminum ones to work over (junk yard is full of them, or look here on the forum for sale) easy to port, add a mild cam, LT headers, delete some items (if you can) mini ram, work over the original intake or lt1 intake, custom tune chip and I'd say you'll be there and quite happy

Building your first motor is a thrill, just keep it mild, ask questions and have your uncle help. Most of us have been there.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:40 PM
The Batmobile
Instructor

Originally Posted by rick lambert
Since he's going 30 over, he's at 355 CID, increase the compression from 9:1 (30 over needs new pistons anyhow) might as well go 9.5:1 or easily 10:1, ditch the old iron heads and pick up some newer aluminum ones to work over (junk yard is full of them, or look here on the forum for sale) easy to port, add a mild cam, LT headers, delete some items (if you can) mini ram, work over the original intake or lt1 intake, custom tune chip and I'd say you'll be there and quite happy

Building your first motor is a thrill, just keep it mild, ask questions and have your uncle help. Most of us have been there.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:16 PM
genefree3
Instructor

Its a thrill, but let us know how tight things pucker when you fire it off for the first time.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Road Agent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
Sell it and get a C5.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:17 PM
The Batmobile
Instructor

Originally Posted by Road Agent

I completely agree with you. For one, I guess he didnt get that Im 16 and also those things are expensive.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:46 PM
mechguy79
Pro

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/vader86/

READ READ READ READ READ READ. Scarey good stuff on this dudes page. This will answer a lot of questions on which routes you want to go.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:02 AM
The Batmobile
Instructor

Originally Posted by mechguy79
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/vader86/

READ READ READ READ READ READ. Scarey good stuff on this dudes page. This will answer a lot of questions on which routes you want to go.

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I hope that after christmas I will have enough money to get most of what I want to do the rebuild. Right now I have $300 in savings bonds, and Im going to ask everyone for money this christmas and for my birthday. Thats another $350-400. And after football season is over Im going to try and get a job to help pay for the rest of this.

How much money do you think I will need to knock out a good part of this.

Quick Reply: Need suggestions for a new setup....