C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 C4 Interior Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:49 PM
BTU83
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1984 C4 Interior Questions

I own a 1984 Corvette that I am restoring back factory, and them some. I have a few questions, if anyone has solutions or advice I would be much thankful.

1. I want to change my faded green interior lights for the air conditioner controls and the toggles for oil pressure, english metric switch, etc to something more modern like red, orange or blue. Does anyone know how hard it is to change those bulbs, what size they are, or where I can buy colored ones that would fit? Has anyone swapped colors?

2. I bought new interior carpeting for my entire car. Anyone have an idea how much this will cost to be changed professionally?

3. I just ordered interior seats, new foam with leather wrapped on it already. Would it be hard to install these myself? Any special tools required? Or will the existing seats simply snap out?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Grease Monkey
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8-9 Veteran
aka/Trunk Monkey/Banned For Life/Corvette For Life

1) I have no idea, but I would love to know and do it myself.

2)Why not just do it yourself? I did on my '84. It took a weekend, taking my time. Most of it just lays there, and some areas(trans tunnel) use a glue. I got some 3M spray on, and it works great . depending on where you got your carpet, it may need to be trimmed a bit. Some companies don't make different ones for coupe/vert(even though there wasn't one in '84)... so the place in back that secures the roof needs carpet cut to lay around it. Other than that, very little trimming is needed.

3) Piece of cake. Once the seats are out of the car:

1: pull latch on bottom front of seat, remove foam
2: on the top part there is some latches that you can not see or reach. One set near the top. and two in the wider part. Just push in hard from the sides so that the wires in the foam will be forced into the middle and released...

Let me know if you have any more ?'s
Old 10-24-2007, 08:38 PM
BTU83
Instructor

Thanks! What spray did you use? Was it specialty heavy duty spray for the carpet? My carpet is pre fitted so no trimming needed. Do you have any pictures of your work in your car?

Also, I've never taken seats out before, what tools did you use and was it hard? Mine are power, so that needs to be taken into consideration.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Grease Monkey
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8-9 Veteran
aka/Trunk Monkey/Banned For Life/Corvette For Life

Originally Posted by BTU83
Thanks! What spray did you use? Was it specialty heavy duty spray for the carpet? My carpet is pre fitted so no trimming needed. Do you have any pictures of your work in your car?

Also, I've never taken seats out before, what tools did you use and was it hard? Mine are power, so that needs to be taken into consideration.
I just used 3M carpet glue... you can get a big can at any auto parts store.
Here is a shot of it, only one I can find...
I could have done it better, but made a few mistakes...

There is 4 bolts holding the seats down. Piece of cake to get, then just unplug the connector.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:38 AM
BTU83
Instructor

I am taking your advice. My friend helped me today to remove all of the carpet and take the seats out. Tomorrow we will clean it up and start to put the new carpet in. Any advice? What was the trickiest part? We think under the dash where the driver and passenger legs are will be hardest.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 C4 Interior Questions

Quick Reply: 1984 C4 Interior Questions