C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Vortech power starts where?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Fastmax32168
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Vortech power starts where?

I have a vortech V-1 S trim to install on my mildly modified 94 LT1 that I can install with 42 lb injectors, blowerworks pulley wrap upgrade, and gaseous intercooler kit. The previous owner says the system made 8 lbs of boost on a stocker without these upgrades.
My question revolves around what RPM I can expect this thing to start to make serious power at? Right now my car makes 328 RWHP at 5800 RPM but doesnt really start to pull hard until the needle gets into the upper 3000 range. One of my plans for this car was to install a 2700 stall 9 inch converter into the car as well to let the motor spin up more quickly. What I am wondering however is if this is going to be a waste of money on a street tired car after I install the SC. Extra oomph wont help me if it does nothing but blow away the tires. At what RPM can I expect this basic kit to start making boost at? Can I expect this unit to make enough power at 2000 RPM to overcome traction? If so then I am not sure if it is worthwhile on what is intended to be a mildly tuned driver. I have had several smaller roots type blowers before that turned the cars into low end animals, but I am not sure at what RPM I can expect this centrifical to kick in. So my question is Converter or no converter?
Thanks
Roy
Old 10-25-2007, 10:22 AM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

This is the compressor map for the vortech s-trim.

Boost is [pressure ratio-1]*14.7 psi.

At 25000 impeller rpm you get about 0.3*14.7 = 4.5 psi.
At 40000 impeller rpm you get about 0.8*14.7 = 11 psi.

You get the idea ...

You can use this impeller speed calulator to convert engine rpm to impeller rpm.

At 5 psi you should make about 30% more power compared to N/A.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:12 PM
dustmann
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not like my bigger stall and went back to my old one. No good for street use. RPMs to hi just to drive in town.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:03 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I run a completely stock one on my car currently. If I had my choice, I'd up it a little but not too much. Boost reinforces the torque curve too so I just wouldn't need all that much converter for putting around on the street. I can't hook up as it is on the street. But it would help a little at the track. 60's currently are in the high 1.60's.

Get notified of new replies

To Vortech power starts where?

Quick Reply: Vortech power starts where?