C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headers installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 11:26 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Headers installed!!!

I got my headers Friday afternoon and promptly had them installed. By Saturday at about 1 p.m. I had the rest of the car back together and ready for it's first start. Being that I had personally taken it apart to fix an oil leak I was a little worried. Anyway, it fired right up (open headers of course) and that was the best sound I've heard in a while. I drove it across town to have the exhaust fabrication done, of course he couldn't do it then. I knew I should have finished it late Friday night and been at the exhaust shop at 6:30 a.m. So I drove it back across town, I took all the back roads to avoid the police.

My thoughts, DAMN!!!
I can notice a lack of off idle torque because I don't have a cat-back installed, but once it gets above 1000 rpm's it's all up from there. I can tell a noticable power increase, I hope to get the dyno results sometime next month. Maybe later tonight I'll have some pictures of the finished setup.

BTW, for anybody who cares, NO service engine lights from the missing AIR system.
Old 11-19-2001, 02:11 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Default Re: Headers installed!!! (Nathan Plemons)

34 people have looked at this post and nobody has posted so much as a rude comment :( I feel neglected.
Old 11-19-2001, 02:21 PM
art91
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Our local C4 mechanic just put headers on his 95. They do sound sweet.

Sorry. No rude comments come to mind. :)
Old 11-19-2001, 02:22 PM
Black'92
Racer

OK, I'll post. Whick kind of headers did you end up buying? I'm currently looking into buying the TPIS headers.
Old 11-19-2001, 02:29 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nathan!!! congrats, almost enough to startle you when she catches and your running the LT's open isn't it!! i installed a B&M ripper yesterday and fired her up for a freind while the exhaust was dropped he jumped about 2 feet backwards and then again when i hit the gas and gave her a rev!! enmjoy it, and your braver then i, i put my cat back on and ran 2.5" flex pipe and exhaust tape to get mine to greenville, my only known source for illegal welding with no cats, was not about to risk 150 miles of open header driving, not to mention the fire hazard!! good luck, let us know hw\\when ya get your numbers form the dyno!

chris :cheers:
Old 11-19-2001, 03:50 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Default Re: Headers installed!!! (Black'92)

I got the Hooker's from Chris at Speed Demon. They really are nice pieces, they tuck up real nice.

BTW Lcvette, I was able to install both from the bottom. I guess it's because I had the tranny out and the motor was tilted on about a 30 degree angle. Whatever the reasons may be I had the headers in place and the outer bolts started about 20 mins after I opened the box. Some of that time was taking pictures, changing clothes, etc.
Old 11-19-2001, 04:39 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm just surrized that you got them in there w/o pulling the engine! :crazy:

:cheers:
Old 11-19-2001, 08:35 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

For anybody who has been watching this thread at all I thought I would mention that I got the car back with the exhaust completed. Finally it sounds like it should!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

It resonates more than it did, but I guess it all just depends on your tolerance level, I kinda like it, now when I hit the gas I hear the motor from the back of the car, not the firewall. I also vowed tonight that I would not buy anything to make my car faster until I bought tires! It is raining tonight, I was cruising at about 40 mph in 4th gear when I pressed the gas a little, next thing I know I'm pretty much staring at the fence that was on my left side a minute ago. I let off the gas and it snapped right back into place, but that is not the last time it got a little crazy on the way home.

The good news is that I've certainly gained some power, it never would have done that in 4th before, so I guess that's a good thing, I just need to spend even more money now, DOES IT EVER END!? :nopity

I'll try to get some decent pictures of my headers before long, I'll have to either get a good digital camera or break down and use a real camera, for now the pictures I have kinda suck, but I'll post them anyway. IGNORE THE TIE-WRAPS, they are only temporary.

http://24.17.202.123/GRAPHICS/CORVET...led_driver.jpg http://24.17.202.123/GRAPHICS/CORVET..._passenger.jpg http://24.17.202.123/GRAPHICS/CORVET...rs/header1.jpg http://24.17.202.123/GRAPHICS/CORVET...rs/header2.jpg http://24.17.202.123/GRAPHICS/CORVET...aders_both.jpg

[Modified by Nathan Plemons, 6:36 PM 11/19/2001]
Old 11-19-2001, 09:00 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

looking nice, Nate... question - are those Jethot coated???

Old 11-19-2001, 09:32 PM
red-y
Drifting

Hey, Nathan glad you didn't get a ticket. I love my hookers or maybe I love the name. Not sure?? :crazy:
Old 11-19-2001, 11:51 PM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Headers installed!!! (red-y)

Nice job Nathan. Headers for my L98 are very high on my to-do list for spring.
Old 11-20-2001, 12:13 AM
Danger Dave
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Headers installed!!! (BobMachus)

Do you have plenty of clearance? I am looking at all the mods you did, what's up with the L-98 valvecovers?
Old 11-20-2001, 08:44 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Default Re: Headers installed!!! (Danger Dave)

They are actually Camaro valve covers. My stock LT1 covers were pretty nasty looking.

For whoever asked, there are not any ground clearance issues, they tuck up very well.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:26 AM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

Nathan, that looks so sweet! It's nice to see the headers without all of that egr cr@p cluttering it up! I can't wait to see the dyno slip!

Great job! :cheers:
Old 11-20-2001, 09:39 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Headers installed!!! (92Shawnster)

I am looking to get some of them too. What did Chris charge you? Thanks. BTW They Look great :eek:
Old 11-20-2001, 08:46 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Good move with the proper tuning they will make a difference.
Old 11-21-2001, 11:04 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Default Re: Headers installed!!! (mackeyred96)

Sometime after I get a 52 throttle body and I get some more money I want to take it and have Ed tune it on his dyno. That's the only way to really get the most out of it. I've been very pleased with his chip so far, but it's really just a guess, I'm sure it could be tweaked.

Get notified of new replies

To Headers installed!!!

Quick Reply: Headers installed!!!