C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Forcing torque converter lockup

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 09:44 PM
nsimmons
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forcing torque converter lockup

Ok answer me this, if i force lockup and dont change gears, will it hurt it to goto wot with it locked. As long as i stay in the same gear i dont see how this could hurt it.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:02 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Forcing torque converter lockup (nsimmons)

I have a manual lockup sw wired into the ALDL on my IROC. When I raced it I locked it just before launch so that it would lock on the 1-2 shift and thereafter.

I've heard that it might be a strain on a TC with a light duty lockup clutch. So, far no problems though.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:11 PM
Springer's LT4
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: Forcing torque converter lockup (65Z01)

I use to run one in my GN before I went to a non-lockup style... had no problems in the year and a half I ran it.
Old 11-20-2001, 08:13 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

65Z01,
I would like to play with that feature, myself. How did you wire it? Did you ground terminal F or apply 12V to it?

When I raced it I locked it just before launch so that it would lock on the 1-2 shift and thereafter.
You locked it before launch? Wouldn't that just lock it up and kill the engine before you left the line? Please explain.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:31 PM
nsimmons
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Forcing torque converter lockup (CFI-EFI)

it is impossible to lock it in 1st gear, its an internal tranny thing. he flipped on the lock switch before he raced, so when it hit second gear it locked up.
Old 11-21-2001, 12:22 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Default Re: Forcing torque converter lockup (nsimmons)

Thanks, Nick. That answers that. When my trans was going out, a long time ago, the clutch DIDN'T disengage coming to a stop on a couple of occasions. I had to use a lot of brake to come to a dead stop and of course it killed the engine. I didn't realize until your post that they "couldn't" lock up in first. Now, I realize that mine did because the trans was shot.

Do YOU know the correct wiring proceedure?
Old 11-22-2001, 02:48 AM
drive it
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

Well, I don't know if mine is "correct" but; I just tapped a wire into the ground on lead to the tranny, then put a swicth in line then a wire from the switch to a ground. The switch is on the center console. With this setup I can manually lock the tc, but if I hit the brake that disconnects the 12volt wire to the tc and it still unlocks then. Hope this can help.
Old 11-22-2001, 01:12 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I just wired a SPST sw across the wires to ALDL pins A & F. I also wired a mini-LED in series with a 2.2kOhm resistor across those pins to serve as a reminder.

Yes the TC cannot lockup in 1st gear but it seems as though you can stall the motor because the tranny may not down shift quick enough on a very fast stop. I "usually" unlocked the TC after going through the traps.

And my simple scheme does not disengage when you hit the brakes. That would be a nice feature but I was after simplicity and the ALDL was so easy to access.
Old 11-22-2001, 01:54 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Thanks, guys. That's what I needed to know. I can take it from here. I'll have to consider the brake switch disengage feature. At first thought, I don't see a big advantage at the strip. A lack of brake disengage would aid down hill decel on the highway. Hmmm. I'm thinking. I'm thinking. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Forcing torque converter lockup

Quick Reply: Forcing torque converter lockup