C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Plug wire "seating"

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 02:52 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Plug wire "seating"

With other cars I always got in the habit of occasionally checking the plug wires to see if they are seated all the way on the plugs (generally verified by the "click" as the wire is pushed on the plug). I recently had my stock wires replaced with MSD and wanted to make sure that the mechanic took the time to fully seat all the wires.

I have found this to be all but impossible to do with the rear plug on the passenger side of my 95 (#8 plug). For some oddball reason that is not apparent, both this wire and the #6 wire have straight boots rather than the elbowed boots. It is not apparent that this is necessary as the corresponding plugs on the driver's side have elbow boots.

Anyway, seating the wires with elbow boots is pretty easy but the straight boots are more difficult--particularly #8. I cannot seem to get my hand in from above and get a good enough grip on the straight boot. It's too bad that the wire makers don't think about molding some bumps or nubs on the boot to push against.

So how do you guys get to this wire? Is it reachable from below? Similarly, the wire that goes from the coil to the opti is virtually impossible to get to on the opti side (looks like a bunch of stuff would need to be removed).

Thanks,

Doug
Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Thats a standard opti and plug question. Use the search function you'll find tons of answers
Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 AM
AdoptAVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the plastic skirting off around the fender well and you can thread your hand through the A/C and cooling plumbing to get a straight shot to plug number 6 and 8.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:10 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by AdoptAVette
Take the plastic skirting off around the fender well and you can thread your hand through the A/C and cooling plumbing to get a straight shot to plug number 6 and 8.
Thats the trick that makes it almost easy.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:30 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AdoptAVette
I assume this is the same as the wheel liner or whatever it is referred to? Is this easily removable?

Doug
Old 11-17-2007, 03:17 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Actually, looking at it closer, the main problem with access to #8 is the air conditioning evaporator and blower motor module. It extends into the engine area to within about an inch or two of where the boot ends up for the #8 plug. Even removing the wheel well liner would not solve the lack of access caused by the ac blower module.

Doug
Old 11-17-2007, 04:11 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds like all these cars w/air. If you have the room just swap out the end and connecter w/a 90*.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by mseven
That sounds like all these cars w/air. If you have the room just swap out the end and connector w/a 90*.
I too could never understand why these two wires didn't have 90 degree boots on them to begin with. 90s would have worked fine with the stock manifolds. And by the time I installed the first set of headers I used, they became almost mandatory. I changed both #6 & #8 to 90 degrees long ago. Other than that though, the MSDs have been great. They have probably close to if not 35K miles on them and have never had a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Plug wire "seating"

Quick Reply: Plug wire "seating"