C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Msd 6AL

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 12:33 AM
YellowC4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Msd 6AL

does any one have the msd 6al installed on his corvette do you feel any deffernce and where do you put it where is the best location for it

Old 11-21-2001, 12:48 AM
AS84
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Msd 6AL (YellowC4)

Mine idled a little smoother with it. I installed mine mainly for the rev limiter. I bought a wiring harness (8875) from MSD that made installation a snap. I made an aluminum bracket and put mine right below the pass. headlight bucket. If you're ever going to use nitrous, I suggest the digital 6.
Old 11-21-2001, 02:08 AM
importeater
Racer

Default Re: Msd 6AL (AS84)

just love my msd i ended up with the 6t & rev box which is basically a 2pc 6al. ended up mounting the box under the drivers headlight on the bumper & the coil off the drivers fender sorta infront of the master cylinder. msd makes a conversion for the hei cap to run a outboard coil like the blaster 2 i have. all in all i'm really happy with it. fires instantly now, & with nos & high rpm use it's a must
Old 11-21-2001, 04:20 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Just installed mine under the Driver's headlight. It fits perfectly across the front of the tire splashgaurd. Used Stainless-Steel bolts to prevent corrosion. Also, you have to lengthen the wiring, so I bought the same gauge, same color automotive wiring and some black plastic corrugated tubing. After carefully splicing the wires, placed them inside the black tubing and attached with black zip-ties. Looks like a professional installation. I also gunked-up the area where the wires exit the box with some clear silicone to help prevent any moisture from ruining the electrics. Best of Luck :D :D :D
Old 11-21-2001, 08:21 AM
TexCorvette
Drifting

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Msd 6AL (BlackRocket)

Had the 6AL on a TPI camaro, and the Rev limit saved me twice. I would have needed it on the Vette last week where I almost over reved due to a shifter problem. As far as performance, the car ran smother and always fired right up after the install, though I can't say if it added any noticable HP, or a tenth to the ET. Having MSD down the street helps to, I had a bad MSD box a long while ago (extra one) fixed for under $20.

Old 11-21-2001, 08:17 PM
SteveElliott
Instructor

Tests have shown, and I agree, the ignition is only worth about 1 horse if anything. I need it for nitrous. Installed mine behind the drivers seat down where the anti-lock brake computer is. :cheers:
Old 11-21-2001, 08:29 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: Msd 6AL (SteveElliott)

Installed mine behind the drivers seat down where the anti-lock brake computer is. :cheers:

Do you lose anything for having to run the wires so long?

Get notified of new replies

To Msd 6AL

Quick Reply: Msd 6AL