C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust Freak Needs Insight

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 12:43 AM
wheeljo2
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Exhaust Freak Needs Insight

I guess you could say I'm one who has a penchant for exhaust systems. I make subtle changes to my existing system about once a quarter to see if I can gain performance, change tones, etc..

My current setup consists of Hooker 1 3/4" ceramic shorties, CATCO 2 1/2" CATS, a custom center mount stainless muffler 2 1/2" in/out designed and built by Roger Githam at Texas Quality Exhaust Systems in Houston, and 2 1/2" tailpipes.

The muffler is fairly unique in that it has a 4" center chamber which equalizes the exhaust pulses in much the same manner as an X-pipe, nice european type note, fits nicely in place of original resonator.

I'm thinking about adding a set of high flow summit turbos to the rear of the system to give it an improved note at idle and reduced sound at wide open throttle. I know that most aftermarket cat backs for LT-1's retain the resonator and 2 muffler setup.

I'm looking for a nice rumble at idle to accentuate the cam note and a nice mellow cruising tone with little or no resonance. However, my primary objective is performance. Will I kill my horsepower and torque curve by going to this alternative. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. I respect the Forum members opinions because anyone who drives a Corvette is cool with me !!!

Wheelz
Old 11-21-2001, 01:10 AM
wheeljo2
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Exhaust Freak Needs Insight (wheeljo2)

TTT
Old 11-21-2001, 01:19 AM
GiDvEtTe84
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Exhaust Freak Needs Insight

I have flowmasters with no cat. They had a nice rumble before i took the cat off and the power gains are nice. But now that its off, its like a new car. I would guess 20 hp from just that mod. The only thing about flows is the resonance at about 3k. Other than that, i love em. They are about $300 a set.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:44 AM
Turismo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice european type note,

Wheelz
LOL! I didn't think it was possible to get a European note out of the small block Chevy! HAHAHHAHA!

If you want great low RPM sound and increased performance, go with DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers. David Vizard tested the Dynomax mufflers along with a slough of others, and the Super Turbos had the lowest backpressue of the entire group.

Dynomax even has sound clips on their website so you can hear what their mufflers sound like. Both of these factors definately influenced my decision to go with Dynomax over Flowmaster.
Old 11-21-2001, 12:21 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got Hooker long tubes, X-pipe, and flowmasters. It's got a very healthy note but it resonates like crazy.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:37 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

True duals with dual mufflers would give you that "Corvette rumble". If you are pushing enough air 3" pipes would help too.

I have a 2 1/2" front Y with 3 1/2" into 3" rear Y and last Sat eve I got a chance to listen to it with the window open as we ran through the gears. Sounded mean. There is some resonance at low RPM though.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Freak Needs Insight

Quick Reply: Exhaust Freak Needs Insight