C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Miniram question.Size Matters!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 07:29 PM
underpressure87
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miniram question.Size Matters!!

I've got a Miniram 2, that I bought to fit on some 195cc heads. I'm swithing my heads to a larger size.. Will this thing bolt up to a 220cc (without major surgery) runners and if not what is largest size runner that I can bolt this thing to?
Thanks,
Shane
Old 11-22-2001, 12:07 AM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Miniram question.Size Matters!! (underpressure87)

I don't know much about this but I don't think the external dimension of the heads is any different. The cc you refer to is the volume of air that fits into the intake area before the valves I thought. They arn't any different to bolt up to your mini-ram. Lets hope for some more answers because maybe I'm wrong.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:29 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Underpsi,
There is a difference between the two intakes. The intake as you described will handle the 195 head (1204 FelPro), but will not seal at the top on the 210cc or larger head. You can modify the intake by welding at the top of each set of runners approximately 1/4" bead. Then the port opening can be opened to match the larger head.

Basically, take a 1206 FelPro (size that fits 210-220cc head) and observe how the top bead seals to the top of the intake. The seal is non existant!

On a positive note, when you weld up on the tops of the runners and remachine, you are able to remove the TPIS logo. I did a tremendous amount of cutting and welding (the complete top section of the intake was removed) on my MRII to address flow issues. After all the mods were complete, I blasted the intake with a very coarse grit bead, performed the machine work to return the pads back to flat above each pair of runners, then primed, basecoated, and clearcoated the complete package. It looks very similar to stock, but flows considerably more and lacks the TPIS logos.

My best advice is if the unit is still in the box, send it back to TPIS and get the correct intake.

Best of Luck,
Aaron
Old 11-23-2001, 04:32 PM
underpressure87
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The miniram is about 1 year old. I wound up getting some heads that are 200cc becasue of the issue with bolting the mini ram up.
I wounder if I can port the miniram to a 1405 felpro intake gasket size?
Shane
Old 11-24-2001, 11:35 AM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

There is still the potential for sealing issues. What size motor are you running that you are looking to utilize the 220cc heads? There are lots of 383 running with 190/195 heads.

Consider your options: Welding/machining/grinding, prurchase another MRII, or reconsider the purchase of the 220cc heads.

Best of Luck,
Aaron
Old 11-24-2001, 01:22 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

195's should be enough for your setup. :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Miniram question.Size Matters!!

Quick Reply: Miniram question.Size Matters!!