C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bang for the buck Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 10:31 AM
NotSlo
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Bang for the buck Mods?

I've already cut the lid and installed a K&N filter. Is the MAT sensor relocation worth doing? Also, I'd like to do the thermostat but can't see spending over 300 bucks on a hypertech programmer. Will the thermostat do me any good without the reprogram? Maybe somebody in my area has one?

Thanks!

96 LT4
13.3 @ 106.3 mph 2.07 60'
Old 11-22-2001, 01:20 PM
AS84
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Bang for the buck Mods? (NotSlo)

I wouldn't spend the money on the hypertech. The bad news is that you can only use it on one car. If you meet someone with a programmer they will have to reset their car to stock programming in order to use it on your car and when it comes time to give the hypertech back to the owner you will have to reset your programming back to stock. So only one car at a time. My buddy bought a used one for 125. 300 bucks would be better off spent in other locations. It would be a good start on a cam/head combo.
Old 11-22-2001, 01:24 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bang for the buck is a cool engine... get that 160 stat... and you may even want to consider a cheap switch kit you can get from Mid America for around 10 bucks that allows you to turn on the cooling fans anytime you wish.

good luck
Beach
Old 11-22-2001, 01:39 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: Bang for the buck Mods? (Beach Bum)

Considering the cost in reprogramming those ODB II cars, I think I would have to say exhaust. How much you looking to spend my friend?
Old 11-22-2001, 03:46 PM
NotSlo
Team Owner

Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Bang for the buck Mods? (scorp508)

Considering the cost in reprogramming those ODB II cars, I think I would have to say exhaust. How much you looking to spend my friend?
Right now not a lot. I lease the car so I don't want to do anything drastic although I am going to buy it outright next year. I'm thinking throttle body bypass, MAT sensor relo. and thermo. Just wondering how much all that will help. After I buy it I'll probably do more drastic things like a port and polish, throttle body and the like. Whattya think?
Old 11-22-2001, 03:52 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh yeah, forgot about the lease/buy thing. Hmm... then I would go with the stuff that keeps the engine cooler. From what I am told the LT1/LT4 engines make their power most while kept in the 145-165 range of temps.

Maybe some underdrive pullies for about $100?
Old 11-22-2001, 03:57 PM
NotSlo
Team Owner

Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: (scorp508)

Oh yeah, forgot about the lease/buy thing. Hmm... then I would go with the stuff that keeps the engine cooler. From what I am told the LT1/LT4 engines make their power most while kept in the 145-165 range of temps.

Maybe some underdrive pullies for about $100?
Got anymore info on those?
Old 11-22-2001, 11:37 PM
SLOWBUSA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the difference the 180 degree ram airbox made. Probably the best upgrade I have made. The exhaust and ignition probably are the next best. :cheers:
Old 11-23-2001, 09:37 AM
Phil-tha-Rush
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Bang for the buck Mods? (SLOWBUSA)

a thermostat is a thermostat :yesnod:

you do NOT need to reprogram ANYTHING to change thermostats.

The suggestion is to change thermostats, and install a manual on/off switch to turn fans on earlier. (very simple mod)

Airflow and cooling..check to make sure your coolant is fresh, and the front of the radiator is clean.. :seeya
Old 11-23-2001, 09:38 AM
Phil-tha-Rush
Le Mans Master

oh..and consider the "throttle by-Pass" free mod. :seeya
Old 11-23-2001, 11:43 AM
NotSlo
Team Owner

Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Bang for the buck Mods? (Phil-tha-Rush)

Thanks, Phil!
Both are on my to do next list!
Old 11-23-2001, 12:19 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i know your trying to stay away from drastic mods... but if your going to do the thermostat, i would recomend getting a meziere electric waterpump.. with my meziere, even though i have the fans set to come on at 192, i never see this temp unless its scolding hot outside and im sitting in traffic for more then 10-15 minutes.. the waterpump will help keep the car cool, and add close to 10 RWHP which is a noticeable difference. as long as you do not destroy any of the parts while installing the meziere it is reverseable in case you end up not buying the car. also, depending on how many miles are on the car and what conditions its been driven in, you might want to remove the radiator shroud and clean the radiator fins thoroughly to ensure that they can do their job appropriately. this will make a huge difference in what temp your car runs at. no reprogramming needed for this either. if the lid is cut and the K&N is in place, this is a good intake starting point. next would be the exhaust, corsa makes a very nice setup that is priced better then most of the other brand systems and offers power and sound benefit. the SLP is less expensive but not quite as refined as the corsa, however it is a solid thru 3" system and sounds very aggressive. installation on either can be done at your house providing you can get the car up. i like to use 4 ramps and back the car onto a pair then jack the front up and slide the other two under the front wheels. this gives you some working room if you haven't got access to a lift. after this, your looking at going into the motor for any real gains. headers will help and high flow cats. if you decided to do the entire exhaust system, i would build the new system as follows. Hooker long tube headers into either random tech 3" bullet cats, or straight into the exhaust system. depends on what you feel comfoprtable with in your area with emissions. this way you can remove the entire stock system from the exhaust manifolds back and store it incase you decide to turn the car in, im sure this setup would have no problem reselling if you needed to. then i would wait, perhaps an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and raise your fuel pressure slightly ie 42-46 psithey like this range with some free flowing mods installed. the throttle body bypass is a good option as noted previously, i would not use the aftermarket MAF unless your planning to have you computer recalibrated to wortk with it and then i would wait until you had some bigger mods done such as a cam and headwork ect... well there is my opinion for what its worth. gears are alwasy a fun thing but again racibrating the computer costs and gears are not something easily or cheaply reversed. anyway, best of luck and enjoy!!

Chris :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Bang for the buck Mods?

Quick Reply: Bang for the buck Mods?