C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can this Tuning be done by a Beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 01:02 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can this Tuning be done by a Beginner?

The poll to add a tunner section prompted the following post.

Back in '93, I spent my first serious money getting a TPIS Level V custom prom (went with the late Jim Formatto direct route). For many years, he assisted me in the various mods, only charging me infrequently for changes to match the changes I made to the car. I have run variants of this chip since before Jim passed away to the current.

I have now had Eileen's (Formato) assistance in doing the new combo. But she views (and correctly so) that the new combo is too different than anything from the original combo and it is now time to pay the full price again. I am not against paying the price, but realize that the free changes for upgrades are probably a thing of the past.

I am now looking at my '89 which is going to get a very large small block and either a D1 or D3 supercharger. This will require considerable tuning as well.

I have already invested in the professional chip(s) and the Diacom and laptop. I can do all the other items myself, am an engineer by schooling, seems I could tackle the tuning as well. What do the experienced tuners think? The motor is so far from stock, as Eileen Formato says, "the only thing that is similar to the original is the actual computer". Do you think one can tune this type of combo ('87 roadster, 408 sbc, solid roller, large heads, mini ram, still MAF, supercharger, 6spd (came as automatic), 3.42 gears, ect.) as a beginner tuner? Combo should be in the range of 625-650 RWHP.

Honest opinions from people who have done it would be appreciated. The next combo to tune will be worse (more cubes, more lift, more boost, solid rear axle, ect).

Any existing tuners think they can tune the beast?

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 11-22-2001, 01:25 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Can this Tuning be done by a Beginner? (AKS Racing)

As a control systems engineer, I wouldn't hesitate to tackle the job on my motor if it needs it. Like any control system it's just inputs, processing and outputs.

Assuming you know the EPROM mapping and something of the ECM processing, where your challange will come in is making the step from a stock motor's table to one for your motor. However, the new Forum page may be valuable to you. Finally you will need some way (dyno or similar) to test the effects of your tuning.

Lets see what the experienced tuner's have to say.
Old 11-22-2001, 01:26 PM
drive it
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

Default Re: Can this Tuning be done by a Beginner? (AKS Racing)

Aaron-yes, you could do it yourself no problem- sounds like you've already got diacom and have a good grasp of what you're looking at. Without a sc you may need to go to speed density if you're hitting the maf limits early-e.g. if at wot and only 4000rpm you hit the 255gm/sec already it's time! I currently hit the maf limit only at wot and 5800rpm; but when I swap the cam again, I'm then planning on needing to swap. You must convert to speed density for a supercharger; depending on levels a 2-bar map or even a 3-bar map if you're getting rad. Can a beginner tuner tune a highly mod. engine?-you bet! Just take it one thing at a time; be patient, as Grumpy over at thirdgen always says-it may take a 100 burns before your engine is running really good. Once you have enough experience it's probably take maybe 15-20 burns or so. I tried the mail order chip route too,(after a try with a dufus that was going to "dyno tune" my car, and yes he had an expensive dyno!) Eileen really does try-give her credit for that; but to really get it right it takes time and the car in front of you. (with diacom or equivelant) And shipping the chips back and forth across the country takes even more time! You've got diacom- now just buy a pocket programmer and tunercat with the tf's you need and you're on your way. Wish I lived closer to you, but why not everyone use this forum in the meantime for prom programming questions? Maybe just put something in the title to be sure to ID it as a prom quetion?

[Modified by drive it, 11:27 AM 11/22/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Can this Tuning be done by a Beginner?

Quick Reply: Can this Tuning be done by a Beginner?