C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Connecting Rod Bolt Install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 08:07 PM
Cruz 86
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Connecting Rod Bolt Install?

Bought an old Vega drag car. 355 roller small block. Engine runs great. Tore it down just to have a look at bearings etc. Everything looks good. Has heavy duty rod bolts but, considering the low cost, I thought I might as well replace them. Do I have to have a machine shop press them in and out or can I change them myself? Thanks!
Old 11-22-2001, 08:43 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Connecting Rod Bolt Install? (Cruz 86)

Do you suspect the rod bolts? Maybe you should have the rods magnifluxed. Otherwise, they are a simple swap. Knock out the old and knock in the new.
Old 11-23-2001, 01:55 PM
jeffie86/96
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Connecting Rod Bolt Install? (CFI-EFI)

I don't disagree with replacing the bolts, if the engine has been raced it would just be good insurance, cheap enough too.
Old 11-23-2001, 02:20 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Connecting Rod Bolt Install? (jeffie86/96)

Every professional recommendation I've seen in the rod bolt changing procedure says to have the big end resized when the bolts are changed; that you shouldn't just remove the old ones and install the new ones.

Perhaps that is the best, most bullet-proof way to install new bolts, but I've also seen, and have used an alternative method and so far have never had a problem.

It involves leaving the rods bolted to the crank and removing and installing only one bolt at a time. The crank serves as a mandrel to maintain the shape of the big end. The bolt is tapped out and new ones installed with light blows of a hammer. Care must be taken to insure the new bolt goes in straight so that the head sits properly in the rod.

Hope this helps.

Jake

I'm specifically NOT recommending this method though, because of the possibility of losing a rod bearing down the road.

Hope this helps.

Jake
Old 11-23-2001, 07:32 PM
CORKVETTE1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Connecting Rod Bolt Install? (JAKE)

i agree with jake the only correct way is to have the rods reconned if you want to change the bolts other wise dont mess with them

Get notified of new replies

To Connecting Rod Bolt Install?

Quick Reply: Connecting Rod Bolt Install?