C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

automatic shifter lock button sticks

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 01:49 AM
DavidMark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic shifter lock button sticks

I've got a '95 with an automatic. When first starting the car in the morning I have to use two thumbs to push the button in to move the tranny out of park. I'm not a 90 pound weakling either. Once I've used the car and it's warmed up, the button is much easier to depress. So, is this an indication that something in the mechanism needs more greese, or what? My wife complains that she won't even drive the car now because of this problem, okay, that's not os bad, but it seems to be getting worse, so I'd like to fix it.
Any ideas?
Old 11-23-2001, 02:29 AM
Mr. CJ
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: automatic shifter lock button sticks (DavidMark)

Pry out the shift button with a small flathead screw driver, and see if it might be riding down too far on the metal mechanism that depresses the shift mechanism. Also, WD-40 may help, just spray a little down the center of the shifter mechanism, might do the trick. Hey, maybe it's your car telling your wife that it doesn't want her to drive it! :)
Old 11-23-2001, 05:18 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: automatic shifter lock button sticks (Mr. CJ)

If the WD40 on the upper shaft doesn't solve the problem. Remove the console, boot and shift ****. Then you can see the spring loaded mechanism at the bottom end of the center rod. It may be damaged or respond to some light grease.
Old 11-23-2001, 07:10 PM
OcalaGuy
Race Director

Default Re: automatic shifter lock button sticks (DavidMark)

Check the spring loaded mechanism that operates off the brake that allows the shifter to shift from park to drive. Put some grease on the linkage on the shifter. Mine was also hard and I sprayed some WD40 and put grease on anything that moved. It works much better now.

Get notified of new replies

To automatic shifter lock button sticks

Quick Reply: automatic shifter lock button sticks