C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ZR1 maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 01:36 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ZR1 maintenance

If and when a ZR1 block becomes cracked or somehow can't be bored-over, how do you get a another? Is GM/Mercury Marine (Lotus?) still producing parts for these engines? I am considering buying one and am concerned about replacement parts. (like if the LCD display goes south, do I re-finance the house to get a replacement?) :lol:
Old 11-24-2001, 02:14 PM
Wide_One
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: ZR1 maintenance (GRX)

It can't be bored in the sense of actually boring the block itself because it has cylinder liners ....always available and replaceable. The block itself as a item would be a function of G.M. parts if they still have one available. I can't imagine what would take out the block other than owner error or neglect i.e freezing. Pretty sound technology which is no difference than the ls6 platform with alloy blocks and cylinder liners. The wildcard here is all the cnc modern stuff ever made can be reproduced it a matter of interest and money.
Old 11-25-2001, 12:11 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

If your concerned about " block integrity" I wouldn't buy a ZR-1... Or if you live in a northern climate and don't plan on maintaining your car properly... I wouldn't buy a ZR-1... otherwise... take a chance... you may find that Lotus Engineering, Mercury Marine and the Dennison Foundry knew what they were doing when they designed, manufactured and warranteed over 7000 LT-5 engines... Yes, casting flaws have occurred... but life is a gamble... take a chance... you might pick a winner...
Ted
90 ZR-1 # 334
Sun City, CA
Old 11-25-2001, 03:45 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: ZR1 maintenance (Bigvmaxx)

If your concerned about " block integrity" I wouldn't buy a ZR-1... Or if you live in a northern climate and don't plan on maintaining your car properly... I wouldn't buy a ZR-1...
Ted
90 ZR-1 # 334
Sun City, CA
What exactly is proper maintenance on a ZR-1 in the northern climates??? :lol:
I think I need to know so I dont do something wrong...
Old 11-25-2001, 07:09 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

While we're on the subject, when you change your oil, do you get any leakage out of that oil filter?

My first thought after looking at the LT-5, besides "WOW", was, "Thats a stupid place for an oil filter"

Check out this Callaway ZR-1 that was at a local car show: http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/nowo...llions/cr1.jpg http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/nowo...llions/cr2.jpg http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/nowo...llions/cr3.jpg http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/nowo...llions/cr4.jpg
Old 11-25-2001, 07:10 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Default Re: ZR1 maintenance (NoWorries)

Hey, I've got another question, each runner is for its respective intake valve right? Does that mean there are 16 injectors?
Old 11-25-2001, 09:04 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Hey, I've got another question, each runner is for its respective intake valve right? Does that mean there are 16 injectors?
If you post these questions in the Forums ZR-1 section you'd probably get more answers. :yesnod:

I'll try a couple. The oil filter is rather expensive because it has a built in close off........ie, when you take it off, it closes and is not suppose to leak much.

Yes, ZR-1 have 16 injectors. If the power key is off, the second set never even comes into play.
Old 11-25-2001, 02:41 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Re: ZR1 maintenance (phrogs)

ZR-1 maintenance... It will be spelled out in the owners manual... btw... it is just about like any other car... keep the fluids fresh... maintain the fluid levels... keep your ears open for unusual sounds... and you should not have any problems... unless you abuse it...
Ted
90 ZR-1 # 334
Sun City, CA
Old 11-26-2001, 12:29 AM
GRX
Le Mans Master

That's all sound advise, but I wouldn't be the original owner, of course. I would inherit whatever the previous owner(s) did or failed to do. Not to mention the probable abuse/neglect. Man, that's a scary thought! That's why I'm curious about parts availability/cost. Thanks for the input! :chevy

[Modified by GRX, 8:29 PM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-26-2001, 12:32 AM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Those are some great pics. :cool:
Old 11-26-2001, 12:39 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Bigvmaxx, I am from michigan lived there all my life up untill this little stint in the Marines, All you are saying is to use some common sence for car care, Thats a no brainer even though some people dont evenknow the smallest detailes to working on or maintaing a car, I was thinking you were actually talking about something unique to the ZR1 for northern climates well thats what it sounded like to me but hey the basic stuff is done to my ZR-1 and it is in hibernation at my grandparents house while im overseas, BTW your ZR-1 was built 22 cars before mine :cheers:
Old 11-26-2001, 03:24 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

While we're on the subject, when you change your oil, do you get any leakage out of that oil filter?

My first thought after looking at the LT-5, besides "WOW", was, "Thats a stupid place for an oil filter"
No the filter has a lock out whic keeps it from dripping when removed.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 maintenance

Quick Reply: ZR1 maintenance