C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Winter Storage Tips Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 02:49 PM
csc67
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Winter Storage Tips Needed

Even though it is still over 60 degrees here in sunny Rochester (LOL) , winter will be here in several weeks in not sooner. What winter storages tips do you have for me....thanks
Old 11-24-2001, 03:14 PM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Winter Storage Tips Needed (csc67)

Fuel stabilizer,fresh oil and filter,remove the battery for monthly 2 amp charging.Try to resist starting the car just to hear it run.It is hard on the exhaust system and tends to make condensation in the crankcase.In the spring take it for a + 25 mile cruise change the oil and filter and run the old gas out of it.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:53 PM
rogerb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you asked and glad you got a great response. I'm a southern boy in wisconsin on contract and was getting concerned myself since they are calling for snow wednesday. to me snow is what i have seen in pictures, but I guess its time to put my baby to sleep for the winter. :yesnod:
Old 11-25-2001, 11:19 AM
PylonBoy
Instructor

remember to inflate the tires as well to prevent flat spotting. Or put car on jack stands.
Old 11-25-2001, 03:36 PM
Phil-tha-Rush
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Winter Storage Tips Needed (PylonBoy)

put some baking soda, or charcoal brickettes on a paper plate, on the floorboard to absorb excess moisture.
Old 11-25-2001, 06:19 PM
nickd
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Winter Storage Tips Needed (Phil-tha-Rush)

Depends on where you are storing the car and how long. My garage is pretty dry so I never had a problem with moisture & mice,etc.. I have heard of guys putting mouse traps around the car.
I bought an Autometer battery tender a few years back, the cable connects to the battery without removing it from the car. The only other thing I do is put a cover on the car.
Sometimes I will throw some of the fuel treatment in as well.
I don't think "flatspotting" is a problem for radial tires as much is it was for the older steel belted tires. I stored my 92 Camaro for 4 winters on the same BFG Comp T/A's and this will be the Vettes 2nd winter in the garage without being on jackstands or anything like that. The car typically sits for about 4-5 months and I have never had a problem with flatspotting.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter Storage Tips Needed

Quick Reply: Winter Storage Tips Needed