C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ball Joint Replacement???

Old 11-25-2001, 04:40 AM
BlackRocket
CF Senior Member

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default Ball Joint Replacement???

At what mileage shoud you consider replacing the upper and lower ball joints? I am in the process of installing poly-graphite bushings and was considering replacing the ball-joints at the same time. Has anyone here replaced the upper ball-joint. Do you have to drill out the rivits, and then replace them with bolts??? :confused:
Old 11-25-2001, 08:08 AM
lowflyer
CF Senior Member

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Default Re: Ball Joint Replacement??? (BlackRocket)

My opinion is that if you are going to be updating other parts of the front suspension, you might as well go ahead and do the ball joints anyway. Its not too hard, and it can't hurt to do it before failure.

Yes, the procedure is to drill out the old rivets and replace them with bolts and nuts, but I think you may still be able to buy riveted ones if you need to maintain the "factory correctness" of the car. Its not too difficult, just be careful and unload the front spring before you start drilling or grinding away:) Good luck.
Old 11-25-2001, 04:41 PM
JAKE
CF Senior Member

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: Ball Joint Replacement??? (BlackRocket)

The uppers are a piece of cake to replace. The lowers are another story altogether.

I changed my uppers last year in no time.

The lowers, I attacked a couple of weeks ago and took me a couple of hours per side.

I rented the tool (big "C" clamp looking arrangment) from AutoZone (free) with a $100 refundable deposit. Getting the old ones out was pretty easy, but pressing in the new ones was the time consuming part.

The trick is to make sure that the new joint is perfectly straight in the control arm hole in order for it to press in. If cocked even a little, it won't go.

Hope this helps.

Jake
Old 11-25-2001, 04:53 PM
ZAP
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ball Joint Replacement??? (JAKE)

Uppers rarley wear out , they carry a minimal load.
If you want to do the lowers....buy a balljoint press and grind the correct sleeve so it fits flush on the lower control arm. Been there , done that. If you modify the sleeve it makes the job SO much easier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ball Joint Replacement???

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: