C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Aux fan relay, where is it? Pictures anyone? 86 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 07:40 PM
MDC9966
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Aux fan relay, where is it? Pictures anyone? 86 Coupe

I've been trying to get my aux fan to work on my 86 coupe. Well, I unplugged the fan and straight wired it to the battery and it worked fine. I then unplugged it between 1 and 3 cylinders and grounded the wire, no luck it wouldn't come on. The plug looked bad so I put a new end on it and still nothing when I grounded it. I then started looking for the relay. Found one on the drivers side fenderwell with 4 wires going to it. Red (hot all the time), green (goes to fan), blue (hot with key on only) and black(when shorted to red caused the main fan to come on). Turned out that relay was for the main fan. I shorted it a couple of times and kicked on the main fan to make sure. According to a 85 shop manual it's located on the drivers side next to the cruise between the firewall and the battery. There are two relays there but both of them have 5 wires going to them. The manual says it only has four. I found another 5 wire relay on the opposite side of the cruise control also next to the distributor. Is this the right location? Any body got any details? Using the 85 shop manual has confused me before there are several things that must have changed or are just wrong. If anybody can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Old 11-25-2001, 07:47 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The Aux fan relay is on the front/left of your radiator shroud sort of behind where the foglights are. You'll see it, it's bolted right to the shroud.
Old 11-25-2001, 07:56 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Aux fan relay, where is it? Pictures anyone? 86 Coupe (Curtis629)

My aux fan sw has a grn/wht wire that goes into a large wiring harness on the left fender. Follow that wire to the relay. I can't help further because my aux fan relay location is different from yours.
Old 11-25-2001, 07:58 PM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: (scorp508)

The Aux fan relay is on the front/left of your radiator shroud sort of behind where the foglights are. You'll see it, it's bolted right to the shroud.
On an '86? You sure it's not the relay right below the master brake cylinder, fastened to the inner fender shroud?
Old 11-25-2001, 08:00 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Default Re: (Rich B.)

On an '86? You sure it's not the relay right below the master brake cylinder, fastened to the inner fender shroud?
Well I am assuming that 86 is the same as my 87. That main cooling fan relay is where you speak of, the auxiliary one is on the radiator shroud. I know this from when I installed my fan override switch to operate both fans.
Old 11-25-2001, 08:06 PM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (scorp508)

[QUOTEWell I am assuming that 86 is the same as my 87. That main cooling fan relay is where you speak of, the auxiliary one is on the radiator shroud.[/QUOTE]

OK. :D

I haven't found that front one yet...

BTW: Does the aux fan on your car(s) make a loud racket when running??? Like three times as loud and noisy as the main fan??? A kind of thrumming noise, almost like a table saw??? :crazy:
Old 11-25-2001, 08:13 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Default Re: (Rich B.)

BTW: Does the aux fan on your car(s) make a loud racket when running??? Like three times as loud and noisy as the main fan??? A kind of thrumming noise, almost like a table saw??? :crazy:
:eek:

Not at all! My aux one is whisper quiet, and the main one makes more noise.
Old 11-25-2001, 08:43 PM
mash557
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Aux fan relay, where is it? Pictures anyone? 86 Coupe (Curtis629)

86 late w/alum hds, the relay is on the left side of the upper forward fan shroud just behind the left hood hinge. The wires go down through the shroud to the aux. fan. This is in front of the radiator. My aux fan is very loud when it runs.
Old 11-26-2001, 02:25 AM
MDC9966
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Aux fan relay, where is it? Pictures anyone? 86 Coupe (mash557)

My aux fan is quiet when I got it to run but I still can't see that darn relay. If anyone with an 86 can take a pic that would help.
Thanks,
Also, how many wires and what color going to the aux fan relay? That may help too.
Thanks,

Get notified of new replies

To Aux fan relay, where is it? Pictures anyone? 86 Coupe

Quick Reply: Aux fan relay, where is it? Pictures anyone? 86 Coupe