C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Body flex, what do you recommend

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 01:23 PM
Vvcdde
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body flex, what do you recommend

Ok...I love my c4 but one thing that pisses me off is when I am driving around with the top off, the body flex in the car in incredible. Never seen anything quite like it, hit a bump, body twist. Are there any aftermarket parts to help combat this? I know on my previous f-bodies and on c5s you have things like strut tower braces, subframe connectors, etc, but I have no idea what is availble for my 96 C4. Any suggestions?

[Modified by Vvcdde, 11:24 AM 11/26/2001]
Old 11-26-2001, 02:58 PM
4GTWRK
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Body flex, what do you recommend (Vvcdde)

A "CROSS-BAR" will solve your problem.

We also are getting set up to produce the CAMBER-BRACE, if you really want to get it solid.

Check out the Cross-bar at http://www.r-dracing.com or give me a call if you have any questions.

Dave Cooper
R-D Racing Enterprises
573-756-6954
Old 11-26-2001, 03:03 PM
BubbleHead
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Body flex, what do you recommend (84c4)

A "CROSS-BAR" will solve your problem.

We also are getting set up to produce the CAMBER-BRACE, if you really want to get it solid.

Check out the Cross-bar at http://www.r-dracing.com or give me a call if you have any questions.

Dave Cooper
R-D Racing Enterprises
573-756-6954
Ditto! I picked up a Cross-Bar from Dave and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Just a great product! Nearly all of my flex is gone with the top off. The only time I do notice flex is when I hit some of the really bad streets in Chicago, and the flex is minimal.
Old 11-26-2001, 03:25 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Body flex, what do you recommend

The cross bar looks great..but how does it stop cowl shake in the front when it ties the rear together?Like the F cars, you could get front tower braces and that helped reduce flex somewhat.I get a ittle cowl shake up front and some flex on bad roads with the top off but its not that bad as some people with newer cars have been complaining about.

Im no engineer so maybe it does help cowl shake even though it mounted back there.
I would assume it would stiffen the area mostly behind the doors and back if someone has a flexing problem there.

Btw, $375.00 bucks is too rich for my blood for a bar,even though it does appear to be top of the line quality.Does that include everything ya need or do you have to buy those additional brackets and etc to complete it?
I wonder if more people buy it,or a large group purchase, if the price can come down.
Then again whats cheap anymore when the name Corvette is attached to it?
:)

Old 11-26-2001, 06:21 PM
AS84
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Body flex, what do you recommend (Bill's86Coupe)

I would be interested if we could get a group purchase together, but for 375 I could live with my flex.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:31 PM
Vvcdde
Pro

I have been interested in a harness bar for sometime now, but I don't really understand how this device can stop the flex which is coming from the front of the car. A strut tower brace would be optimal, but there is no place for one in our cars, so anyone else have any ideas?
Old 11-26-2001, 06:44 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first time I removed the top on my 95 it was quite un-nerving. From past posts on this subject I have seen that installing the chassis cross-bracing that is used on the convertibles is one solution. I believe that once upon a time, someone was working with an aftermarket company for a group purchase of these types of braces. Again, cost was a bit on the high side.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:32 AM
GS 163
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Body flex, what do you recommend (DougSilver)

Cross bar will eliminate almost all body flex. At least it did in my car. It was like night and day when I put it on. :yesnod:
Old 11-27-2001, 12:59 AM
88L98
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: Body flex, what do you recommend (JPLT1)

are there no frame stiffeners for vettes like there are sub frame connectors for f-body unibody cars?
Old 11-27-2001, 02:08 AM
4GTWRK
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Something else to help get the flex out.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=189949
Old 11-27-2001, 12:14 PM
Vvcdde
Pro

Just ordered my camber-brace today. I will post a detailed account of my dealings with it once it is recieved. I also hope to order a harness-bar next month. With these two items I feel confident that I will eliminate my body-flex problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Body flex, what do you recommend

Quick Reply: Body flex, what do you recommend