C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Battery Chargers?

Old 11-26-2001, 08:55 PM
85vetteguy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Battery Chargers?

For the most part my car will be in storage this winter. I try to take it out every couple of weeks to keep the gaskets and other things from drying out. Should I use a battery charger? What is the best kind? I have heard some say a trickle charger others say a smart charger. What is the difference and which is better. Thanks, Guy
Old 11-26-2001, 09:06 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Battery Chargers? (85vetteguy)

You want to use a float charger. I guess this is about the same thing as a smart charger. They are solid state and monitor the state of the battery and when it gets down to a certain voltage they come on to top it up. A trickle charger just keeps on charging at a constant low rate which can cook your battery after a long time. The float charger I got came with a quick disconnect cord so I wired it up to the battery and ran the cord up to the area by the windshield wipers and leave the plug lay there. Then when I pull into the garage I can plug it in without lifting the hood up. I keep mine connected all the time when in the garage. That way the alternator has to work the least after start up with a full battery.
Old 11-26-2001, 09:27 PM
plastic thunder
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Battery Chargers? (85vetteguy)

A SMART CHARGER IS THE WAY TO GO. I KEEP ONE ON MY GOLDWING ALL WINTER. WEATHER NEVER GETS SO BAD HERE THAT THE CAR CAN'T BE DRIVEN ENOUGH TO KEEP THE BATTRY UP :yesnod:
Old 11-26-2001, 10:00 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: Battery Chargers? (plastic thunder)

www.batterytender.com

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Chargers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Chargers?