C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stainless Steel Brakelines

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jaa1992: Are the Earls SS brake lines coated with a protector for the SS material? I am in the market for a set of new brake lines too! Thanks for all the good info in this thread
Old 01-05-2008, 09:59 AM
KeyWestJack
Pro

Old 01-05-2008, 12:49 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Sam Lam
jaa1992: Are the Earls SS brake lines coated with a protector for the SS material? I am in the market for a set of new brake lines too! Thanks for all the good info in this thread
I don't know, threw the box out ages ago. But the lines still look like they did when I installed them over a year ago and have had them on the track several times (lots of brake dust).
Old 01-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Can86Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sam Lam
Back in 86, after I had just purchased my new 86 Z51 Coupe, one of the very first mods I wanted for the Vette was to get rid of its 'mushy-feel to the brake pedal. I called several outfits in the U.S., including Earl's, but back then no one seemed to have ready-made S.S. Line kits for the (then) new C4 Vettes. And of course, the 86's where the first C4 Vettes to be equipped with ABS! Now, previously I was big into hi-po, modded bikes - my last two were a Rickman Kawasaki CR with 1170 Z1 motor, and last a 1400cc Kawi Six cylinder, with a Mr. Turbo hi-pressure kit. Both bikes needed better/firmer hydraulic brakes, so had aquired the -3 brake lines,and pieces, from Goodridge in England. I then took the S.S. lines and adapters/parts to a local guy I knew in Toronto who was a salesman for Aeroquip, and had started a side-business of making-up custom fitted S.S. brake lines for race cars/bikes. I took him my Goodridge bike stuff(-3 S.S. lines, stainless banjos,adaptors,etc.) and he cut the lines to length to fit my Vette. Worked and fitted great, and those S.S. lines are still working great to this day on my 86 Vette! Oh, a couple of points I learned about S.S. lines/kits in that process, and from my previous bike-experience with S.S. Lines. First, the Goodrige stuff, along with stuff I had looked at from Earl's, was all First rate! Second, it is very important to measure,fit, and 'clock' SS lines, esp-with custom set-ups, very carefully so as to avoid any possible 'kinking' of the -3 SS lines(and you should use/specify -3 line for brake hose, rather than the larger -4 hose I have seen used). Of course, check for full wheel/suspension movement on all wheels to avoid damage/pulling on all hoses and their fittings! For my custom made SS lines, I had my guy fit clear,thin wall plastic fuel line, cut to length for each line, and fitted over the SS hose, before the line ends were assembled. This, I assure you, will give extra road-hazard protection to your brake lines. If you are using pre-assembled line kits, you can use some of that thin plastic or teflon hose-wrap cut to fit, and fit it over your SS line when you install. Use small/tight tie-wraps to secure the ends. Well worth it to fit good SS brake lines, IMHO! Ciao!

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Brakelines