C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Convertible top install on a 1989

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:00 PM
87 rag
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is awesome Chuck.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:55 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.corvettefever.com/techart...ent/index.html
Old 02-13-2008, 05:16 PM
j-wireman
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all your effort, Chuck.

I won't be getting a new top any time soon, so, I'll step back and let someone else take my spot in the line.

Mike
'90 'vert

Last edited by j-wireman; 02-13-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:20 PM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default I Have a DVD Copy

I see that everyone is searching for that DVD. I burned myself a copy from a well-known corvette supply company. It is a professional video with removal and installation instructions. I still have a ripped video and audio_TS folder for the DVD. I don't know much about the copyright laws, but I tried my burned DVD copy and it works just as well as the original. Post a reply or PM me if you can distribute it as I am not familiar with the specific laws. The DVD covers 1986-1993 Tops...

Last edited by janarvae; 02-15-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:51 PM
chucks88
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the one I have. Does it show a skinny guy with dark hair removing/replacing the top, being narrated by someone off screen on a polo green with a tan top vette?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:29 PM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

Default Dvd

No, it's a red body, tan top vette. It features two men working on it with the owner of the interior reproduction company narrating and explaining the steps. It's the Al Knoch video.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:16 AM
chucks88
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotcha.....luckily there are no credits before/after this video so I think our sharing it won't get us into too many problems.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:10 PM
-js-
Racer

Thanks Chuck. I watched the video today.
It gave me a few ideas.
Anyone hosting this yet?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:38 PM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

Default Update

Just a reminder, I have the installation DVD and also have it saved as a 3GB file. If someone is willing to put it on the web, I will send them it. I have already sent one DVD copy out to a forum member on Tuesday the 19th. If anyone else wants it, I am willing to send it out. Again, it is a DVD and from a very respected Corvette interior company. Just PM or post a reply if you need it. I'm just trying to contribute to what makes this forum so awesome for Corvette owners!

Jonathan
Old 02-21-2008, 10:59 AM
tgtexas02
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 184 Posts

Jonathan, I know everyone is probably bugging folks for this to include me. Can you send copy to Belobrajdic, 87 Buck Lane, Belton, Tx 76513. Just let me know what I owe you or put note inside and I will gladly reimburse. Bill
Old 02-25-2008, 06:45 PM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

Default Dvd

Originally Posted by tgtexas02
Jonathan, I know everyone is probably bugging folks for this to include me. Can you send copy to Belobrajdic, 87 Buck Lane, Belton, Tx 76513. Just let me know what I owe you or put note inside and I will gladly reimburse. Bill
Bill, you never responded to my Personal Message concerning your first and last name. I sent it out today via USPS priority mail to Bill Belobrajdic and it was $4.60 for the shipping. If you want to send back $5 for the shipping cost and blank DVD, that would be enough.

Keep the wave alive,

Jonathan

Last edited by janarvae; 02-25-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:21 PM
tgtexas02
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 184 Posts

Jonathan, thanks a zillion and I will send your money as soon as I get your address off shipment or you can email it to me. I never received any note from you so don't know what might have happened--I would have responed to you. My email is tgtexas02@aol.com if you want to go ahead and send. Again, thank you so much. Bill
Old 02-25-2008, 10:23 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not a good idea to post your email out in the open, unless you like getting emails from Nigerians. Seriously, I had my email in a tech tip and 1 other place on the internet. Now I get countless 419 emails and I can't stop them because the "from" fields are forged, therefore you can't block them. These lowlifes have spider programs that surf the open pages of the internet and pick up email addresses.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:08 AM
dlarabee
5th Gear

I was curious if this video ever got posted on a website or if it was still available?
Old 04-30-2016, 06:44 PM
julahti
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dlarabee
I was curious if this video ever got posted on a website or if it was still available?
Me too! I am just in the middle of doing this, the top needs to go on in the next 2 days and wondering about gluing the top to rear bow, and how to attach the top to the 2nd and 3rd bow with that metal string and screws.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:49 PM
dlarabee
5th Gear

I glued the sides first let set overnight then glued the back did the same then stretched over the front the headliner put the rest of the bows in the correct spot on the top I ordered it had material for the other bows that slipped under the headliner clips that kept the top from bubbling I hope this helps main thing is to have the top centered when gluing the sides.
Originally Posted by julahti
Me too! I am just in the middle of doing this, the top needs to go on in the next 2 days and wondering about gluing the top to rear bow, and how to attach the top to the 2nd and 3rd bow with that metal string and screws.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:56 PM
dlarabee
5th Gear

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2012/06/1986-96-corvette-convertible-top-installation/ Oh and on the back bow glue it with no tension pulling it and a lot of clamps it goes where it looks like it is straight down from rear bow so that when it is latched it will be against the hatch.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible top install on a 1989

Old 04-30-2016, 07:26 PM
julahti
Heel & Toe

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2012/06/1986-96-corvette-convertible-top-installation/ Oh and on the back bow glue it with no tension pulling it and a lot of clamps it goes where it looks like it is straight down from rear bow so that when it is latched it will be against the hatch.
Thanks, it is a bit confusing to look a the top that I have from Ecklers. It has 3 pieces of material at the back and just wondering if all of them need to be glued or can I just cut one or two away and glue one or two.

Did you use the 3M weatherstrip adhesive as a glue or something else?

There is not that much area for the back material to be glued, not even an inch I guess so the glue must hold real well.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:49 PM
dlarabee
5th Gear

I glued all 3 cuz the first one held it in place but the other 2 keep it looking the way it should when you have the top up you can glue the first one and you will see what I mean. I used construction adhesive because couldn't get the hold that it should only tip is make sure you get it smooth and let it completely dry before tugging on it. The excess material on the rear bow I cut to clear the weatherstripping after several trials of putting the top up and down to be positive didn't want to have to buy more then one top.
Thanks, it is a bit confusing to look a the top that I have from Ecklers. It has 3 pieces of material at the back and just wondering if all of them need to be glued or can I just cut one or two away and glue one or two.

Did you use the 3M weatherstrip adhesive as a glue or something else?

There is not that much area for the back material to be glued, not even an inch I guess so the glue must hold real well.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:14 PM
julahti
Heel & Toe

I glued all 3 cuz the first one held it in place but the other 2 keep it looking the way it should when you have the top up you can glue the first one and you will see what I mean. I used construction adhesive because couldn't get the hold that it should only tip is make sure you get it smooth and let it completely dry before tugging on it. The excess material on the rear bow I cut to clear the weatherstripping after several trials of putting the top up and down to be positive didn't want to have to buy more then one top.

OK thanks! So glue all 3 materials, 1 first and let it dry, makes sense as you can see how it will look like and can still fix it if needed. Cut the excess after installing rear weatherstripping.

I have a 1986 and the metal strip with 3 screws for the 2nd and 3rd bow, I wonder if those metal strips are needed at all.

Quick Reply: Convertible top install on a 1989