C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 w/LT1 Dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Former Ford Boy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L98 w/LT1 Dual exhaust

I have an 87 a4 that has gutted cats. Since I am considering a move to a state that has visual inspections, I want to replace the system with something that doesn't look like a drunk man with a torch hacked at the system.

My thought is to bolt LT1 replacement cats and cat-back exhaust system to the l98 manifolds, but I read in another thread that this will not work. Does anyone know why? I am ready to purchase the parts, but don't want to waste $300 on cats if they won't bolt up.

here is a link to the thread I referenced: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...archid=7180320
Old 01-18-2008, 05:15 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I was going to do this as well, until I read a post that it would not work. I bought a true dual system from Corvette Central for about $275.00 delivered. It comes w/ and H pipe, but you will need to buy cats, and have them installed. The sound and performance are great.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:29 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You might check with the state you are moving to in regards to what they look for in the visual check. Chances are that the state inspectors would "know" that an 87 has 2 pre-cats and a single main cat (that has an air hose coming from the AIR pump).

If the equipment has to be visually "correct" for the year of car, then it may not do any good to install an LT1 system.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Former Ford Boy
Advanced

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
You might check with the state you are moving to in regards to what they look for in the visual check. Chances are that the state inspectors would "know" that an 87 has 2 pre-cats and a single main cat (that has an air hose coming from the AIR pump).

If the equipment has to be visually "correct" for the year of car, then it may not do any good to install an LT1 system.
That's a good point. The last time I lived in VA, the "state" inspectors were just the guys at the local shop who ordered the inspection stickers from the state. I will check on this before I spend any money.

Thanks,
Phillip
Old 01-20-2008, 06:31 AM
garkahn90
Instructor

I've tried it. Bought everything LTx and tried to bolt it on. The biggest road block is the stock LTx cats on the down pipes will not fit. The cat on the passager side won't fit between the starter and the chassis. I ended up only using the LTx exhaust from the resonator back. Actually I had the resonator cut out and replaced with an X-pip so I really only used the mufflers and the pipes going into the mufflers.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:47 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a LT1 exhaust from the cats back. I thought of installing it on my 86, but have read it is alot of work. I guess I would have to have the pipes welded to longtubes and make hangers for the exhaust.

If anyone has a writeup on this, please post it.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:15 AM
PAINTER MAN
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RRT vette
I've got a LT1 exhaust from the cats back. I thought of installing it on my 86, but have read it is alot of work. I guess I would have to have the pipes welded to longtubes and make hangers for the exhaust.

If anyone has a writeup on this, please post it.
I installed an LT4 exhaust on my 86. I attached it just behind the precats. I had a muffler shop make the adapters. As far as hangers go, you need to use the ones for the LT1/4 system. I have the transmission hanger if you need one.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:28 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

If you also had the stock LT1 exhaust manifolds or LT1 bolt on shorty headers it would fit perfectly.
Will
Old 01-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Former Ford Boy
Advanced

Originally Posted by garkahn90
I've tried it. Bought everything LTx and tried to bolt it on. The biggest road block is the stock LTx cats on the down pipes will not fit. The cat on the passager side won't fit between the starter and the chassis. I ended up only using the LTx exhaust from the resonator back. Actually I had the resonator cut out and replaced with an X-pip so I really only used the mufflers and the pipes going into the mufflers.

Do the LTx cars have a smaller starter? And is it a direct swap into an L98 car?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:51 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Former Ford Boy
Do the LTx cars have a smaller starter? And is it a direct swap into an L98 car?

Yes LTX's have a smaller gear reduction starter.
Will

Get notified of new replies

To L98 w/LT1 Dual exhaust

Quick Reply: L98 w/LT1 Dual exhaust