C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Another Opti Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 05:36 PM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Another Opti Question

Just putting this winter's project together and now the engine pops thru the exhaust and I think the "new" opti distibutor is to blame. We have checked the wires and such but the car still pops thru the exhaust at idle and when rev'ed (no load).

Prior to the build no issues, however new items include ported heads, cam, timing chain, headers, distributor, injectors....

The "exhaust pop" is not consistant more like an arch in the distibutor or wires causing it to cross fire. Can't see any issues with wires so suspect the distibutor.

Is this the right path, have you heard of this happening with a "new" distributor.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2008, 06:40 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go out at night when it is good and dark, pop the hood, start it up and look for any arcing in the plug wires. Scan it for codes. It does not sound like an opti problem. Did you have it retuned (PCM tuned) after the mods?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:45 PM
blue94
Pro

not yet on a complete tune, just changed the constant for the injector increase, it helped just a little. don't see any arcing.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:43 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any codes?
Old 02-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

If you did the cam, I'd check the valve lash. It sounds like you might have an exhaust valve too tight and not closing completely. When you go through the firing order, check the intakes when the exhaust valve is just starting to open and check the exhausts right after the intake stops closing. There is a faster procedure, but I don't remember the order. This way is kind of slow and drawn out, but gets them all checked for sure when you get through the whole firing order.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:02 AM
wilsonbh
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a problem like this awhile back. I bought a Actron CP9190 scan tool and it brought me to a bad spark plug wire. I replaced all my wires and the car ran perfect.

These hand scanners are great for identifying problems. They work on just about all cars too. Mine reads OBD 1 & 2 codes and came with a bunch of cables for the older vehicles.

Billy
Old 02-02-2008, 02:31 PM
blue94
Pro

Got called into work so I don't have access to the car until I get work issues resolved. I will be record the information with Datamaster and see what codes it throws, stupid me, I always forget that the computer is the best place to start. Too much time before computer controlled systems and always forget what a great source of info they can be. Thanks for slap in back of the head

Old 02-05-2008, 01:56 PM
blue94
Pro

Finally got back to the car at lunch today and went back through the wires and yes we found the last 2 on the left bank arcing between them. Replace those and she is running fine with no codes.

Thanks!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Another Opti Question

Quick Reply: Another Opti Question