C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Vortex Ram Air: Top or flop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 07:31 AM
BrightAquaLT1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortex Ram Air: Top or flop?

Reviews of C5 drivers who installed a Vortex Ram Air system are generally positive, reviews of C4 drivers who installed the derived system are sometimes more critical. Has anyone installed this system on a C4 and dynoed his car before and after the installation? Are the clamed 15 hp increase realistic?
Old 12-03-2001, 10:19 AM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Vortex Ram Air: Top or flop? (BrightAquaLT1)

Personally, I think its sanke-oil. I've been around long enough, bought enough gizmo-hop up crapola to be very weary of claims of 15hp from a simple air turbulence inducer. I guess the engineers at gm just did'nt pick up on the fact the 15 free whopping hp could be had from somthing like this! Someone will most likely get rich from this onw. :rolleyes:
Old 12-03-2001, 02:35 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Re: Vortex Ram Air: Top or flop? (GRX)

He's not talking about the "hurricane" or "tornado" whatever it is thing. He's talking about a cold air intake. I dyno'd my LT4 with it and got a number about 12 HP higher than another LT4 on the same kind (but not the same dyno). So take that for whatever its worth.

Is it worth it? In my opinion its cheap looking and cheaply made. I took mine off and put in a K&N and cut lid. It didn't fit very good (rubbed the hood in a couple of spots). I haven't seen the C5 unit, so I can't compare the two quality wise.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:01 AM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Vortex Ram Air: Top or flop? (Mr Dave)

He's not talking about the "hurricane" or "tornado" whatever it is thing. He's talking about a cold air intake. I dyno'd my LT4 with it and got a number about 12 HP higher than another LT4 on the same kind (but not the same dyno). So take that for whatever its worth.

Is it worth it? In my opinion its cheap looking and cheaply made. I took mine off and put in a K&N and cut lid. It didn't fit very good (rubbed the hood in a couple of spots). I haven't seen the C5 unit, so I can't compare the two quality wise.
Ooops! Sorry. Yep, anything that can lower intake charge temp is good (depending on cost, of course). If its cheaply made, then go with another supplier. I think TPIS had a kit years ago for cold air induction.
:chevy
Old 12-04-2001, 03:38 PM
mean8t
Racer

Be weary of dyno numbers on something like this. What I mean is, isn't this thing supposed to help pull air in at speed? So on a Dyno you will get little benefit but at the track where your car is moving at considerable speed you may get an improvement. That is just my .02. I have never tried one it won't fit on my car.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:20 PM
jay17
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Vortex Ram Air: Top or flop? (mean8t)

Be weary of dyno numbers on something like this. What I mean is, isn't this thing supposed to help pull air in at speed? So on a Dyno you will get little benefit but at the track where your car is moving at considerable speed you may get an improvement. That is just my .02. I have never tried one it won't fit on my car.
Old 12-05-2001, 12:34 AM
SLOWBUSA
Instructor

Default Re: Vortex Ram Air: Top or flop? (jay17)

I use the 180deg airbox, and noticed an improvement at higher rpms. The downside is that it allows the whistling sound made by the mass air to be heard. :eek:
Old 12-06-2001, 02:20 AM
dan-t
Racer

Default Re: Vortex Ram Air: Top or flop? (SLOWBUSA)

i have it was on car when bought it seems very responsive.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:12 AM
PylonBoy
Instructor

My car had about 15 less hp when the filter in that set up was completely clogged.

And dyno proven! :D

Get notified of new replies

To Vortex Ram Air: Top or flop?

Quick Reply: Vortex Ram Air: Top or flop?