C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ed Wright Programming PCM or Hypertech - Is there a comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 05:38 PM
Ed Ut
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ed Wright Programming PCM or Hypertech - Is there a comparison?

Just curious. I've got the Hypertech on my LT4. If I switch to the Ed Wright will I see a noticeable performance increase? Thanks all.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:41 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Ed Wright Programming PCM or Hypertech - Is there a comparison? (Ed Ut)

Any of the pre-programmed chips are just guesses. Even a custom chip from Ed is just a guess unless he actually gets some feedback and go back and forth a few times. The best would be to have Ed dyno tune it.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:58 PM
Ed Ut
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Ed Wright Programming PCM or Hypertech - Is there a comparison? (Nathan Plemons)

Any of the pre-programmed chips are just guesses. Even a custom chip from Ed is just a guess unless he actually gets some feedback and go back and forth a few times. The best would be to have Ed dyno tune it.
I think I meant to say ECM instead of PCM. I was thinking of the situation where you remove your ECM and send it to him for re-programming. You provide him with info or stats on your engine and he programs accordingly.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:09 PM
jay17
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Ed Wright Programming PCM or Hypertech - Is there a comparison? (Ed Ut)

I'm getting mine dyno tuned by Ed soon, I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:51 PM
Jimmy69
Racer

Another option is to do it yourself. http://www.carputing.com has the setup for tuning OBDII LT1's.

Jimmy
Old 12-05-2001, 08:57 PM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both Ed Wright and Hypertech should have a good setup for stock LT1 and LT4.

I got mine done by him for the 383 and then started doing my own programming. You have the flash memory version so you can do yours without a chip but the software is $500 for LT1_Edit since you have the 96 ECM. You also need a laptop or move your pc next to your car.

I can give an idea of what he did on mine:

1. Added more spark advance when the throttle plates are closed (like at idle).
2. Raised idle to 850 for my cam.
3. Added 3 deg spark adv at WOT. He also added some advance at points below idle which made no sense to me. I have reset a lot of those values.
4. Disable CAGS
5. Disable some emission diagnostic stuff that I reneabled.
6. Modified the speed density table which I have left alone but don't affect my car since its got MAF.
7. Changed the fan temps
8. Reduced spark retard to 0 at lower load levels. I reset those.
9. Adjusted air to fuel ratio at WOT. I made some adjustments here as well. He reduced the air to fuel ratio a lot above 5600 which made no sense to me.

I have had trouble getting the free version of diacom to work with his programming. Not sure why though. I get checksum errors.

I have also heard some tuners move the data around in memory. I would not use their stuff because you'd never be able to mod it later.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:25 PM
Jimmy69
Racer

Default Re: Ed Wright Programming PCM or Hypertech - Is there a comparison? (AquaMetallic94LT1)

On #9, the theory goes that after you are past the peak on the torque curve less fuel is required.

Jimmy
Old 12-05-2001, 11:08 PM
Ed Ut
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Ed Wright Programming PCM or Hypertech - Is there a comparison? (AquaMetallic94LT1)

Both Ed Wright and Hypertech should have a good setup for stock LT1 and LT4.

I got mine done by him for the 383 and then started doing my own programming. You have the flash memory version so you can do yours without a chip but the software is $500 for LT1_Edit since you have the 96 ECM. You also need a laptop or move your pc next to your car.

I can give an idea of what he did on mine:

1. Added more spark advance when the throttle plates are closed (like at idle).
2. Raised idle to 850 for my cam.
3. Added 3 deg spark adv at WOT. He also added some advance at points below idle which made no sense to me. I have reset a lot of those values.
4. Disable CAGS
5. Disable some emission diagnostic stuff that I reneabled.
6. Modified the speed density table which I have left alone but don't affect my car since its got MAF.
7. Changed the fan temps
8. Reduced spark retard to 0 at lower load levels. I reset those.
9. Adjusted air to fuel ratio at WOT. I made some adjustments here as well. He reduced the air to fuel ratio a lot above 5600 which made no sense to me.

I have had trouble getting the free version of diacom to work with his programming. Not sure why though. I get checksum errors.

I have also heard some tuners move the data around in memory. I would not use their stuff because you'd never be able to mod it later.
Can't the control module just be removed from the car and reprogrammed on a work bench or desk? That is the way Ed Wright has to do it when you remove and return the ECM to him.
Old 12-06-2001, 01:07 PM
Polar LT4
Racer

Default Re: Ed Wright Programming PCM or Hypertech - Is there a comparison? (Jimmy69)

Do it yourself would be cool, but $2500 for the software :eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 12-06-2001, 02:21 PM
Jimmy69
Racer

Default Re: Ed Wright Programming PCM or Hypertech - Is there a comparison? (Polar LT4)

$2500 is for the non-VIN locked version. Its $550 for a version VIN locked to your car.

Jimmy
Old 12-06-2001, 03:33 PM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't the control module just be removed from the car and reprogrammed on a work bench or desk? That is the way Ed Wright has to do it when you remove and return the ECM to him.
You could but you would need a wiring harness to power the stock computer on the bench. It may also want some of the sensors. Its much easy to use the ALDL connector and leave the ecm in the car. A laptop that will do the job can be found on ebay for under 250.

Get notified of new replies

To Ed Wright Programming PCM or Hypertech - Is there a comparison?

Quick Reply: Ed Wright Programming PCM or Hypertech - Is there a comparison?