C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Weird fuel delivery problem, need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Hawaiian C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird fuel delivery problem, need help!!

Did a search, didn't really find anything.

--- Turn on key, fuel pump runs normal 2 seconds, no fuel pressure

--- Start car (takes about 5 seconds) car runs great, 42 PSI fuel pressure

--- Shut car off, fuel pressure immediatly goes to zero

I changed out 2 fuel pump relays I had, but car did same thing. No noticeable gas or smell from fuel pressure regulator vent line.

Could I still have a bad regulator?

1987 Coupe L98

Thanks guys.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:05 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 166 Likes on 147 Posts

Not a relay problem. Best bet is the check valve in the fuel pump. With the pressure dropping sooooo fast it can't be injectors. If it was the pressure regulator, it would more than likely be the diaphram and you would have fuel in the small line attached to the regulator.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:11 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

If it is holding pressure while running your regulator is good. The fuel filter goes one way, and I have changed them out to have my fuel pressure drop off after the engine was shut off. The most important part you need to check is fuel pressure while under load, and to verify it is going up as you give it more throttle, telling you the pump is working and the regulator is being pulled by the vacuum, therefore increasing fuel pressure.
When I had an L98, I had 133300 miles and never had a regulator go out, even with my LT1 I havent replaced it since 97 as I went to an adjustable. Waste of money, as you should tune to your pressure anyways.
I think there is a check valve in your system for fuel return. Not sure. But regardless I wouldnt sweat it unless your injectors are leaking. Unfortunately you need to pull them to do that, the rail that is with injectors and connectors on it, then turn the ignition to on, and see if they leak.

Last edited by steve40th; 02-27-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:51 AM
Hawaiian C4
Instructor

Once started, the car runs great. Lately it takes cranking it two to three times in the morning to start. I just changed the fuel injectors last month and they are good.

I just went out and tried it again after letting it sit about 3 hours.

--- turn key, fuel pressure to 42 PSI for one second, and then immediatly zero

--- Start car, runs fine, fuel pressure holds at 42 PSI

--- shut down car, fuel pressure to zero.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:25 AM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pull the vac line off the FPR and check for gas smell. If it smells then replace the FPR.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:56 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would lay my money on the pulsator in the tank, inline with the fuel pump,it keeps the fuel from draining back into the pump and losing presure in the line.You could have a bad fuel pump but not likely.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Hawaiian C4
Instructor

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
I would lay my money on the pulsator in the tank, inline with the fuel pump,it keeps the fuel from draining back into the pump and losing presure in the line.You could have a bad fuel pump but not likely.
Can I buy just a pulsator? or does it come with the fuel pump?
Old 02-28-2008, 08:44 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawaiian C4
Can I buy just a pulsator? or does it come with the fuel pump?
Toss the pulsator and replace with a piece of fuel injection hose and 2 clamps.
That was my pressure loss area, all good now.
It is right above the fuel pump.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:19 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have an aftermarket adjustable FP regulator? They don't hold pressure.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:11 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

I did what Agent 86 said, when I installed the adjustable regulator.Yes you can buy the Pulsator by itself.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:26 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If the fuel pump runs for 2 seconds, then the electrical part is fine. The loss of fuel pressure so quickly could point you to a few different places. I would pull the fuel pump assembly and do as AGENT 86 suggested and replace the pulsator with a short hose and clamps. The pulsator is the master cylinder looking object the top fuel pump nipple fits into. If that doesn't solve the problem, then the check valve is the next place. You have to replace the fuel pump to replace the check vavle. While the fuel pump assembly is out of the tank, look at the sock and strainer on the fuel pump. The strainer should be debris free.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Hawaiian C4
Instructor

Originally Posted by RRT vette
If the fuel pump runs for 2 seconds, then the electrical part is fine. The loss of fuel pressure so quickly could point you to a few different places. I would pull the fuel pump assembly and do as AGENT 86 suggested and replace the pulsator with a short hose and clamps. The pulsator is the master cylinder looking object the top fuel pump nipple fits into. If that doesn't solve the problem, then the check valve is the next place. You have to replace the fuel pump to replace the check vavle. While the fuel pump assembly is out of the tank, look at the sock and strainer on the fuel pump. The strainer should be debris free.
I removed the pulsator and replaced with hose, I still have the same problem:

--- no fuel pressure when I turn on key, pump seems to be working though (2 second cycle)

--- Car takes at least 3 crank cycles to start

--- once started, the car runs fine, 42 PSI fuel pressure

--- shut off car and fuel pressure drops quickly (1-3 seconds)

The strainer looked good. Is the check valve built into the fuel pump? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:23 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

If you have an after market fuel pump it usually will not hold presure when shut down,atleast not for very long.The by pass in the fuel pump has a spring but that can only be replaced with a new pump.
How old is the fuel filter ,you might have gotten some crap passed the filter and it is lodged in the by pass in the pump.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Hawaiian C4
Instructor

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
If you have an after market fuel pump it usually will not hold presure when shut down,atleast not for very long.The by pass in the fuel pump has a spring but that can only be replaced with a new pump.
How old is the fuel filter ,you might have gotten some crap passed the filter and it is lodged in the by pass in the pump.
The fuel pump and filter are about 4 months old. I bought the pump at Checkers, so it is probably crap. Brand name was Carter. Everything was good until about 2 weeks ago.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:53 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawaiian C4
The fuel pump and filter are about 4 months old. I bought the pump at Checkers, so it is probably crap. Brand name was Carter. Everything was good until about 2 weeks ago.
Diagnose where the pressure loss area is http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Fu...mDiagnosis.pdf
I tested my check valve by removing the supply line from pump and sticking on a piece of hose. If you can blow through the hose, your check valve is not working.

Get notified of new replies

To Weird fuel delivery problem, need help!!

Quick Reply: Weird fuel delivery problem, need help!!