C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

OK Guys, need some serious help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:04 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jsup
OK, I respect your opinion so I will lay out the facts as I see them and please tell me where I'm wrong.

1. THe car ran fine
2. I replaced the injectors only
3. The car makes this wrapping noise. Only ran it in 5 second spurts.
4. The timing was 6* dead on before the switch, and I did not move the dist
5. Double, triple, quadruple checked the sparkplug wires in both position on the cap and firing order
6. New chip programming
7. Spoke to engine builder. In the old days when they used to build engines and let them sit a week or so before starting them, they would clatter like all hell, this was a result of the oil running off the cyl walls.
8. It is possible that the tuning on the chip was not altered in closed loop for the larger injectors spilling all kinds of liquid gas into the cyl that could not atomize becuase lack of engine heat. It's a theory.
9. With the condition given in 8, the gas would not burn and likely to clean the oil off the walls of the cyl wall.

I just have not heard any other feasible, credible opinion put forward.
And you still haven't heard a feasible, credible opinion. I don't know what a "3. The car makes this wrapping noise." is. That description doesn't evoke anything I recall hearing in any engine. However, there is no way the pistons are making such a noise because the fuel is rinsing the cylinder walls. Unless damaged (unlikely) there isn't enough piston clearance to cause much noise, with or without lubrication.

Could you have leaned on and bent one of the alternator fan fins to where it is hitting on something? Is the noise internal? Or external? Where does your stethoscope testing tell you where it is coming from?

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

My post #32 was bad?
Old 04-01-2008, 07:25 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its pretty hard to diagnose a sound you can't hear, but if your car was tuned to run on 22lb. injectors and you went 38s without retuning, changing the injector constant, its going to run SUPER rich. I would say don't run it anymore with those injectors until you get it retuned.

Paul
Old 04-01-2008, 07:34 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Based on what you heard, does the explanation seem realistic?
If the problem were due to your larger injectors "clicking" I think I'd feel that click, as I do with my stock injectors.
Plus I think John said that the new injectors are a little shorter than the OEMs, so they would be a little loose if anything.

Is the noise internal? Or external?
I couldn't be sure though I could not "feel" any vibration when putting a finger on a head, the intake base or the SR top???
Plus I could NOT isolate the sound location to either "side" of the engine??

BTW, the serp belt was removed so the only thing rotating up front was the damper.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I did not read every post, so forgive me if I am repeating.
As I mentioned on the other site I cannot name
Did you hook up a timing light to see if the noise was in sync with the light? It will guide you towards confirming or denying an internal noise.

Did you remove your drive belt and run the engine with it off? That will isolate it to the front of the motor, or not.

Have you disconnected the 3 torque converter bolts, and slid the converter toward the rear bumper to disengage it from the crank?
Doing so will confirm or deny the noise is immediately behind the flexplate.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:11 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete K
I did not read every post, so forgive me if I am repeating.
As I mentioned on the other site I cannot name
Did you hook up a timing light to see if the noise was in sync with the light? It will guide you towards confirming or denying an internal noise.

Did you remove your drive belt and run the engine with it off? That will isolate it to the front of the motor, or not.

Have you disconnected the 3 torque converter bolts, and slid the converter toward the rear bumper to disengage it from the crank?
Doing so will confirm or deny the noise is immediately behind the flexplate.
Peter, I did the timing light thing, yes it's in sync with the engine.

I'll try to get a video of it this week, I do have to earn a living ya know, and post it for more opinions...

This noise is LOUD and other than tearing into the engine, I see no diagnostic,logical procedure.

the car was 100% mechanically sound BEFORE the injector change and nothing changed but the injectors.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:13 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan

Originally Posted by Paul Ruggeri
Its pretty hard to diagnose a sound you can't hear, but if your car was tuned to run on 22lb. injectors and you went 38s without retuning, changing the injector constant, its going to run SUPER rich. I would say don't run it anymore with those injectors until you get it retuned.

Paul
I had the chip re programmed for the new injectors, it has been retuned.

Like I said above, I will try to get a video this week. It is a VERY LOUD clacking type sound is the only way I can describe it.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Pete K
Race Director

I'll try to get a video of it this week, I do have to earn a living ya know, and post it for more opinions...

This noise is LOUD and other than tearing into the engine, I see no diagnostic,logical procedure.

the car was 100% mechanically sound BEFORE the injector change and nothing changed but the injectors.
With the car off, remove #1 plug wire from the plug and start the engine. If the noise stays the same, shut off motor and reattach the wire. Then pick a different wire and repeat the process. If the noise quietes up on a certain cylinder, you have found the hurt hole.
That is one diagnostic procedure that works well most of the time without disassembly.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:17 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 65Z01
If the problem were due to your larger injectors "clicking" I think I'd feel that click, as I do with my stock injectors.
Plus I think John said that the new injectors are a little shorter than the OEMs, so they would be a little loose if anything.

I couldn't be sure though I could not "feel" any vibration when putting a finger on a head, the intake base or the SR top???
Plus I could NOT isolate the sound location to either "side" of the engine??

BTW, the serp belt was removed so the only thing rotating up front was the damper.
That's the confusing part where TF is it coming from?

The shorter injectors will not cause a problem, I checked on that.

I am getting a new set of injectors and I still have to talk to Alvin about the tune, perhaps he forgot to re tune the closed loop?

This is really a learning experience, which I was hoping for, I got what I wished for
Old 04-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Pete K
Race Director

I never meant to imply you should not go to work and earn a living, just responding to your questions with the intention of helping. If my post struck a nerve, my apologies.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:19 PM
jsup
Team Owner

I never meant to imply you should not go to work and earn a living, just responding to your questions with the intention of helping. If my post struck a nerve, my apologies.
No nerve struck Peter, I was just joking around and poking fun at myself for spending time on the car and not at work.......I work out of the house so it's tough with the car sitting 20 feet away......
Old 04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
jsup
Team Owner

With the car off, remove #1 plug wire from the plug and start the engine. If the noise stays the same, shut off motor and reattach the wire. Then pick a different wire and repeat the process. If the noise quietes up on a certain cylinder, you have found the hurt hole.
That is one diagnostic procedure that works well most of the time without disassembly.
Peter, I did something similar with 65Z01. We didn't pull the spark plug but the injectors off one at a time. I know it's a batch injection, so it probably didn't matter.

I'll try that next, however, I don't believe it's isolated to one cyl.

I don't think it's mechanical as it didn't make any noise when turned over with teh starter.

The torque converter was never removed, and there was no noise prior to the injector swap. I find it hard to believe that after only pulling the plenum and swapping the injectors that something mechanically would have gone wrong.

Ahh, the fun of this hobby...
Old 04-01-2008, 09:12 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

John,
When you started the engine, did you let it run long enough for the oil pressure to come up? What does the oil pressure gauge say? Did it appear to be the same as before, or was it different? I have heard that later L98 engines like ours can have piston slap, could that be it?

Randy
Old 04-01-2008, 09:16 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RandyJ75
John,
When you started the engine, did you let it run long enough for the oil pressure to come up? What does the oil pressure gauge say? Did it appear to be the same as before, or was it different? I have heard that later L98 engines like ours can have piston slap, could that be it?

Randy

This is LOUD. I have heard piston slap, this is much much louder.

Yes, the OP is as usual.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

I have him that advice the other day. So far I have not noticed him trying any of the advice given.

-- Joe
Old 04-01-2008, 09:24 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't think it's mechanical as it didn't make any noise when turned over with teh starter.
It wouldn't. A bad rod bearing or main bearing only makes noise when running.

The torque converter was never removed, and there was no noise prior to the injector swap. I find it hard to believe that after only pulling the plenum and swapping the injectors that something mechanically would have gone wrong.

Ahh, the fun of this hobby...
Could have dropped something in the intake. It would skip too though. A bad rod bearing usually doesn't cause a skip. A hole in the piston from dropping a socket in will.

-- Joe
Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by anesthes
I have him that advice the other day. So far I have not noticed him trying any of the advice given.

-- Joe
It's a function of time. Won't have time till Saturday, I'll try a lot of things on Sat, this being one of them. That's why I was joking above abuot making a living. there's only so much time in a day. I got home tonight at 8PM. Tomorrow probably the same, ect.....

I am researching during this week, so I have a list of things to do on Sat.

I'm not ignoring you guys, only so much I can do in a day. I have two little kids with BBall practice, dance, etc....etc....etc....

Get notified of new replies

To OK Guys, need some serious help!!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:29 PM
jsup
Team Owner

It wouldn't. A bad rod bearing or main bearing only makes noise when running.

Could have dropped something in the intake. It would skip too though. A bad rod bearing usually doesn't cause a skip. A hole in the piston from dropping a socket in will.

-- Joe
What's a skip. Tomorrow I'll take five minutes and record the sound.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:46 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

What's a skip. Tomorrow I'll take five minutes and record the sound.
Skip is uneven firing, shaking. literally a 'skip'. If its running smooth, steady idle, and just making noise something has play (rod bearing) or is hitting something (alt fin as suggested, flexplate, etc).

I'd like to hear the sound if you can record it.

-- Joe
Old 04-01-2008, 10:00 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Skip is uneven firing, shaking. literally a 'skip'. If its running smooth, steady idle, and just making noise something has play (rod bearing) or is hitting something (alt fin as suggested, flexplate, etc).

I'd like to hear the sound if you can record it.

-- Joe
OK, a miss.

The idle seems to be nice and smooth.

I will record the noise tomorrow, but I'm not so sure how to post it. I can record it and make an AVI and go from there.

So far this weekend will go as follows:

1. Start the car and pull one wire off at a time and see what happens.
2. Take out all the plugs and do a compression test
3. If that checks out OK swap the injectors.

Anyone have anything else?

Quick Reply: OK Guys, need some serious help!!