C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

OK Guys, need some serious help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:32 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK Guys, need some serious help!!

Other than the injectors being too small, there was no problem with my motor. Other than my boredom, there was nothing wrong with my original motor. The car has 32K miles.....

So I got my new chip from Alvin, and my injectors, and I install everything.. Take off the SR and put it back on, dam I'm getting good at it. When I put the car away, it was running just fine making no unusual noises. I pulled it into the garage, took apart the intake, and put the new injectors in. Re-assembled the intake. That's it. Nothing more.

So I start the car and there's a loud clacking. I have never heard this before and all kinds of bad things are going through my mind.....

Did I drop a nut down one of the intakes and don't konw it? did I leave a tool in the engine bay? I have no fkn idea what the noise is, and with my frustration this afternoon I put the tools down and walked away......sometimes I find myself just too dam close to a situation..

I'm sitting here trying to figure out WTF I did.

I have to get another set of experienced eyes on this dam thing.

If anyone is in Northern NJ/NY and can listen to this. I'm sitting here saying "rod knock" and I'm screwed.....

I have no idea what this can be. There was no noise when I pulled it into the garage a couple weeks ago. How the hell can a rod knock develop, if that is what it is, from a car that didn't have one before and just sat?

I am kicking my own *** all over the place on this..perhaps I'm just beating myself up too much and missing something obvious, I'm too close to the situation.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:37 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Youre pretty much f@##ed.

J/K ....Get a stethescop or a long screwdriver and touch the tip to different areas of the valve cover with our ear on.close to the end, youll find the problem.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:43 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Youre pretty much f@##ed.

J/K ....Get a stethescop or a long screwdriver and touch the tip to different areas of the valve cover with our ear on.close to the end, youll find the problem.
Any ideas WTF this can be? I took off the valvecovers and it's not there.....I'm in panic mode right now.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Make sure all the injectors are plugged in.If not one or more will not fire,causing a misfire and some noise.
All I can think of outside what you already posted.
Good Luck and hope its nothing!
Old 03-30-2008, 10:48 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Aggravated4life
Make sure all the injectors are plugged in.If not one or more will not fire,causing a misfire and some noise.
Thanks, I'll double check that.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:00 PM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

John, I had the same problem 2 weeks ago, My car was sitting outside of my gargage and I starting it up to put it in the gargage and it was at an idle and all of a sudden it started knocking and I freaked for a minutes and once I calmed down, I realized that it was coming from the middle of the engine and not the bottom. After I pulled the valve cover and saw that #8 exhuast rocker arm stud broke, and I could not believe it becuase the engine was at an idle (900 rpms) and it has 7/16 studs. But a friend had some studs and I replaced it and had it runner the next day. And I live in central Jersey
Randy
Old 03-31-2008, 01:02 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Aggravated4life

John,
I know that my car made a clanking sound when two of the injectors were not working, hope thats all it is.

Good luck,

Randy
Old 03-31-2008, 02:56 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Do you have the tube that goes from your exh manifold to the base by the distributor? (Know TPI has one, not sure ont the SR.) If that leaks could make a similar sound like an exhaust leak/clacking sound

Reaching here btw...
Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 AM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RandyJ75

John,
I know that my car made a clanking sound when two of the injectors were not working, hope thats all it is.

Good luck,

Randy
I'm going to re check that too. Right now I'm saying....we'll I can get a 388 short block....

What I can't figure out is how the hell does a perfectly running car start banging like steam heat when all that were changed is the injectors (and the chip)......

Your suggestion makes sense, I'll check that. Thanks.

Did it clang loudly?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:15 AM
jsup
Team Owner

TTT for the morning crew:

Cliff notes:

Car ran fine

Changed injectors

Loud clanging noise

Shi*tting in my pants.

Help...
Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 AM
jackdk
Instructor

Did you label the injector plug connections when you took them off??? If not, you may have crossed one???
Old 03-31-2008, 10:43 AM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jackdk
Did you label the injector plug connections when you took them off??? If not, you may have crossed one???
Doesn't matter with batch fire, does it?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:09 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jsup
Doesn't matter with batch fire, does it?
it shouldn't.
I would take it back apart and put the original inj. chip back in and see what happens. While I was in there , I would also start looking around, see if something dropped in front of the balancer or pulleys, use an inspection mirror and look down the intake ports once runners are removed etc.etc.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:37 AM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mseven
it shouldn't.
I would take it back apart and put the original inj. chip back in and see what happens. While I was in there , I would also start looking around, see if something dropped in front of the balancer or pulleys, use an inspection mirror and look down the intake ports once runners are removed etc.etc.
I don't have either the chip, or the injectors. Sold and replaced.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Use the stethoscope or screw driver on each of the injectors, also. If for no other reason to positively rule them out as the source of the noise.

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Did you take off the fuel rail and turn the key on, it could be you have a bad FI and it is dumping gas into a cylinder and causing hydrolocking.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:35 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right, it won't make a difference on batch fire if ones crossed. I'm sure you checked the oil for fuel and or coolant. Did you notice oil pressure when this started? Did you take a good inventory of tools used, none missing? No missing hardware? I'd step back, do a good visual. I doubt it's a rod knock if it just started after work being performed.

Get notified of new replies

To OK Guys, need some serious help!!

Old 03-31-2008, 01:02 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Does it increase with RPM?

Hows the fuel pressure?

To check for rod knock, pull each plug wire off the dizzy one at a time (motor running) and replace. If the noise goes away when you pull a plug wire, thats the cyl that has the knock.

#2 is the last one to get oil, and always ends up being the one I've seen gone. When I used to buy a lot of fbody's (parts business) most of them had bad #2 bearings, broken #2 rod, etc.

-- Joe
Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

Check for an exhaust leak! A loud clacking expecially at idle is a good indication of an exhaust leak. Did you bump or remove the EGR tube and it is now leaking?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:32 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Check for an exhaust leak! A loud clacking expecially at idle is a good indication of an exhaust leak. Did you bump or remove the EGR tube and it is now leaking?
That's a good point!

-- Joe

Quick Reply: OK Guys, need some serious help!!