C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

OK Guys, need some serious help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:27 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, It does not appear to be mechanical, whew.

I do not see any exhaust leaks, however, I will double check. I will tighten down the header bolts if need be. There is no EGR and it's blocked off on the intake.

Thanks guys. Anything else I should be looking at?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Hey Buddy,
You find anything else to report?Just very curious and hope its all going well for ya!
A TTT for ya too!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:53 PM
bobmic93
Melting Slicks

Sure you have the chip inserted correctly? Is the chip programmed for larger injectors and is it a good tune? The chip plugs into a memcal then into the ECM. I forgot to plug Alvins chip in without the memcal and ended up fouling out my new plugs.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:55 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan

Originally Posted by bobmic93
Sure you have the chip inserted correctly? Is the chip programmed for larger injectors and is it a good tune? The chip plugs into a memcal then into the ECM. I forgot to plug Alvins chip in without the memcal and ended up fouling out my new plugs.
Yep, checked that.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Aggravated4life
Hey Buddy,
You find anything else to report?Just very curious and hope its all going well for ya!
A TTT for ya too!
65Z01 stopped by and we tested the injectors, taking one out at a time.

We pulled the fuses for the injectors, hooked up my 200amp battery charger and turned it over and over. No noise, nothing. So I don't believe it's mechanical.

I went over the wiring and the firing order is correct, and in the right spot. I went around and pushed in all the spark plug wire connections. One was not clipped in all the way into the cap. I have had that problem before, however, it never resulted in this gunfire type sound, usually it's just a miss.

I couldn't start the car as my garage is directly under my 8 year old's room. I have to try it again in the morning.

Last edited by jsup; 03-31-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:10 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by jsup
65Z01 stopped by and we tested the injectors, taking one out at a time.

We pulled the fuses for the injectors, hooked up my 200amp battery charger and turned it over and over. No noise, nothing. So I don't believe it's mechanical.

I went over the wiring and the firing order is correct, and in the right spot. I went around and pushed in all the spark plug wire connections. One was not clipped in all the way into the cap. I have had that problem before, however, it never resulted in this gunfire type sound, usually it's just a miss.

I couldn't start the car as my garage is directly under my 8 year old's room. I have to try it again in the morning.
Thats great 65Z01 came to assist! Good Luck and keep us posted what you find!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:18 AM
jsup
Team Owner

Started it this morning, no change....
Old 04-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Use the stethoscope or screw driver on each of the injectors, also. If for no other reason to positively rule them out as the source of the noise.
as the injectors were just replaced. One injector is very noisy! It will make a hellava racket

I had the same problem with my son's A4 Audi when we changed out the timing belt. The noise went away as the engine warmed up.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 AM
dan_t
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its not knocking when turned over then its got to be worth taking it for a gentle drive surely? See what its like under light load etc it might give you a few more clues of where to look?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:29 AM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dan_t
if its not knocking when turned over then its got to be worth taking it for a gentle drive surely? See what its like under light load etc it might give you a few more clues of where to look?
I'm afraid. I have a couple people I want to look at this with me before I try that. I thought about it. But I'd like a second, thrid, and fourth opinion....I'm not the gamblin' type.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:31 AM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sam Lam
as the injectors were just replaced. One injector is very noisy! It will make a hellava racket

I had the same problem with my son's A4 Audi when we changed out the timing belt. The noise went away as the engine warmed up.
One of the tests I did was to unplug the injectors one at a time, then start it. Did this for every injector, same thing.

Perhaps it's more than one injector? Is that possible?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 379 Likes on 314 Posts

Is the rail forcing injectors down to tight? I had to shim my fuel rail with a few washers when I changed my intake. You can run a search about this, there should be my old thread or others from awhile back. If the injectors are forced down like that they will be very loud!

Edit, what your describing sounds to loud to be injectors. My next idea would be electrical snapping, that would be very loud and cause rough running. Wires OK?

Last edited by Aardwolf; 04-02-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just changed my injectors. I have a Superam. One thing that I was really worried about was dropping a nut or bolt down the intake. I actually duct taped them shut while I was working on it. I was also careful not to let anything drop down the hole for the injectors. I think something may have dopped down an injector hole. I think you could have something sitting on top of your cylinder in the combustion chamber. I hope I'm wrong and it's something easy to fix. What injector did you use?

Last edited by Kool88vette; 04-01-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:53 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Here' what I'm thinking after making calls and gathering information.

I believe the tune may be out.....or the injectors too big..STFU....

What may be happening is the injectors are feeding too much gas in open loop and washing the oil off the cyl walls and I'm getting noise from the pistons as a result. That would explain it....seems most reasonable.

I am getting a set of injectors to try. I have a call into PCM For less to discuss the Tune. What a PIA...
Old 04-01-2008, 03:01 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jsup
What may be happening is the injectors are feeding too much gas in open loop and washing the oil off the cyl walls and I'm getting noise from the pistons as a result. That would explain it....seems most reasonable.
Sorry. That is NOT most reasonable. No way!

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 03:56 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Sorry. That is NOT most reasonable. No way!

RACE ON!!!
OK, I respect your opinion so I will lay out the facts as I see them and please tell me where I'm wrong.

1. THe car ran fine
2. I replaced the injectors only
3. The car makes this wrapping noise. Only ran it in 5 second spurts.
4. The timing was 6* dead on before the switch, and I did not move the dist
5. Double, triple, quadruple checked the sparkplug wires in both position on the cap and firing order
6. New chip programming
7. Spoke to engine builder. In the old days when they used to build engines and let them sit a week or so before starting them, they would clatter like all hell, this was a result of the oil running off the cyl walls.
8. It is possible that the tuning on the chip was not altered in closed loop for the larger injectors spilling all kinds of liquid gas into the cyl that could not atomize becuase lack of engine heat. It's a theory.
9. With the condition given in 8, the gas would not burn and likely to clean the oil off the walls of the cyl wall.

I just have not heard any other feasible, credible opinion put forward. I am going to swap to smaller injectors, hopefully this weekend. It's an easy, inexpensive way to see if this theory holds up. If the noise goes away with the new injectors, then I know where the problem is. IF it doesn't, then I have to dig into the motor.

Yes, at some point this is trouble guessing. I took on this project as an educational experience, and it has been just that, to a fault. So I'll know more about this by the end of the weekend, maybe early next week.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:22 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the injectors were dumping that much fuel, you'd have gas in the oil. It would be very runny and smell like gas. How big a jump in injector size did you go?

Good luck, Paul

Last edited by Paul Ruggeri; 04-01-2008 at 04:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To OK Guys, need some serious help!!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:31 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Paul Ruggeri
If the injectors were dumping that much fuel, you'd have gas in the oil. It would be very runny and smell like gas. How big a jump in injector size did you go?

Good luck, Paul
22 to 36, however the new injectors are marked 40. Racetronix says that they are marked 40, however flow 37 as per their website. However, their flow is done with Heptane, I don't run Heptane in my car, I run GAS. So in email exchanges with Racetronix, since there's no phone number, we determined the real flow is 38.25. for the life of me why can't these manufacturers post GAS flow numbers and end the dam confusion!!!!!

Based on all empirical evidence, I can have the new injectors in, in about 1.5 hours and give that a shot. I am "borrowing" a set of 24 lbs just to try and see if the noise goes away. Cost me nothing to try.

I started out with 22lbs which were a bit small for the motor as the car was running lean.

As to gas in the oil, the car never ran that long. I will check it. I thought about that, we'll see.

If anyone has any suggestions on a troubleshooting procedure that at this time does NOT require tearing the engine down, I'll be glad to listen.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:34 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If the injectors are forced down like that they will be very loud!
I couldn't even feel the injectors click while the noise was comming; with my stock '88 injectors I can both hear their click and feel it with a finger on the wiring harness.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:40 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 65Z01
I couldn't even feel the injectors click while the noise was comming; with my stock '88 injectors I can both hear their click and feel it with a finger on the wiring harness.
Based on what you heard, does the explanation seem realistic?

Quick Reply: OK Guys, need some serious help!!