C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel injector cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Expsd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injector cleaning

My 91 has 19,970 and idles a little rough. I have changed the plugs, wires, etc. and was thinking of cleaning the injectors. Now today I was in Walmart, killing time while my wife shopped and was talking to the auto service manager. He seemed pretty sharp, had, and still ownes sports cars. I saw a sign for $19.95 injector cleaner by a well recognized name that I forgot. I asked the manager if he would use it on one of his cares and he said yes. Anybody heard anything about this? Please no:
You get what you pay for
What do you expect the manager to say
Why Walmart

Thanks in advance for your comments
Old 04-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Seafoam 1/2 can though an intake vacuum line the other 1/2 in the tank.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:19 PM
FICINJECTORS
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default do not use ANY fuel injector cleaner in a multec

The 89-94 multecs are not alcohol complient. There is a epidemic of multec failure going on right now. It has been attributed to the alcohol and or Ethonol additives in the fuel and can cleaners. The alcohol is breaking down the seal that separates the fuel orfice and the coil housing causing liquid to penetrate the coil and accelerating the failure of the injector. GM has recommended not to use these additives in these years. However the gas companies continue to add ethonol in the fuel. Either e10 or e15 contains enough ethonol to cause this problem. Unfortunatlly, all states will have at least E10 shortly.

Last edited by FICINJECTORS; 04-29-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:56 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a can of 3M cleaner that connects to the fuel rail with a hose, I emailed 3M and they assured me that it was compatible with ALL injectors. I am not quite convinced that it won't harm anything, so unless I feel like my injectors are so bad I have nothing to loose, it sits on the shelf.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:01 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skybolt31
I have a can of 3M cleaner that connects to the fuel rail with a hose, I emailed 3M and they assured me that it was compatible with ALL injectors. I am not quite convinced that it won't harm anything, so unless I feel like my injectors are so bad I have nothing to loose, it sits on the shelf.
I believe that is the cleaner that GM dealerships use on their injector cleaning service.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:06 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Expsd
My 91 has 19,970 and idles a little rough. I have changed the plugs, wires, etc. and was thinking of cleaning the injectors. Now today I was in Walmart, killing time while my wife shopped and was talking to the auto service manager. He seemed pretty sharp, had, and still ownes sports cars. I saw a sign for $19.95 injector cleaner by a well recognized name that I forgot. I asked the manager if he would use it on one of his cares and he said yes. Anybody heard anything about this? Please no:
You get what you pay for
What do you expect the manager to say
Why Walmart

Thanks in advance for your comments
I have 52K on mine and they are fine. You might also check your fuel filter, mine was partially clogged. You can OHM out your injectors to see if one or more are weak.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:07 PM
FICINJECTORS
Supporting Vendor

this is from an AC delco service bullitenate: June 3, 2005 Bulletin Number: 05D-J-105
To: All Distributors and Jobbers Category: Service
Multec I: Pre-1994 Multec I injectors should not be cleaned, and no additives are
recommended. These are wet-coil injectors with deposit-control tips. Multec I injectors built
after 1994 are wet coil injectors with deposit control, but because of internal changes, these
injectors can be cleaned, and an additive can be used to prevent deposit buildup. There is a
GM bulletin with the proper procedures and precautions for cleaning these injectors.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:20 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

Just had my injectors cleaned and fuel filter replaced on my 87. what a difference. Much better response and feels like more power. Don't know when the previous owner had it done (if at all) but I had run injector cleaners through the fuel system and no results like this.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:29 PM
FICINJECTORS
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by guido7834
Just had my injectors cleaned and fuel filter replaced on my 87. what a difference. Much better response and feels like more power. Don't know when the previous owner had it done (if at all) but I had run injector cleaners through the fuel system and no results like this.
87's are cleaned all the time. They are Bosch or Lucas injectors like the ones in the video on another thread we just put up. The Mutec injectors used 88-94 are the ones that should not have cleaning fluid run through them.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:47 PM
corvette85guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in agreement with REDEASYSPORT.

A half of can of SeaFoam through the brake booster vacuum line and the other half of can in the as tank fixed me right up.

I was shocked on how well it worked!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:32 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette85guy
A half of can of SeaFoam through the brake booster vacuum line and the other half of can in the as tank fixed me right up.
Not to argue with your results, but would putting something in through a vacuum line have any effect on the injectors? It would be going through the intake tract and passing by the end of the injectors, not passing through them. It doesn't seem to me that you could clean an injector that way.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:01 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

I agree with skybolt, I would think it would clean carbon out of the cylinder?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

The purpose of the 1/2 can of Seafoam in the intake IS to clean it. It does get nasty in there. It cleans the valves too.The other half goes in the tank for the injectors. When you get it done at a shop the do the same thing if you watch one can goes into the intake and they add another to the gas.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel injector cleaning

Quick Reply: Fuel injector cleaning